Home | About | Donate

'Sick and Tired of Being Paid Poverty Wages,' Walmart Workers Invite Bernie Sanders to Press Their Case at Shareholder Meeting

'Sick and Tired of Being Paid Poverty Wages,' Walmart Workers Invite Bernie Sanders to Press Their Case at Shareholder Meeting

Jessica Corbett, staff writer

Walmart workers seeking a seat on the company's board invited Sen. Bernie Sanders, a longtime advocate for higher wages and better labor conditions, to present their shareholder proposal at the retail giant's annual meeting next month.

1 Like

From the article:

“…the many ways we’re working to provide increased economic opportunity, mobility, and benefits to our associates.”

Who made the decision to rename wage slaves “associates”—George Orwell??

10 Likes

Hmmmm…I wonder why they didn’t invite “Front-Runner Joe” instead. I’m sure HE has the working persons’ true interests at heart.

8 Likes

Seems like an easy no-brainer that wanting to provide increased economic opportunity and mobility has a simple solution- decent wages. Then throw in good benefits and problem solved for Walmart Top-Tier Associates.

2 Likes

So What. Big Deal, Hillary also attended Wal Mart share holder meetings. She told them to “Cut it out”, “Now cut my check”

5 Likes

Folks, as long as people do not BOYCOTT that scum store nothing will change and THAT is the bottom line!

4 Likes

Yeah but she was on the Walmart board of exploiters directors raking in the cash, certainly not protecting the workers.

4 Likes

Yep, simple you don’t need anything from these corporations .
Need the great illusion of humans .

Health Over Profit for Everyone says there’s a hearing tomorrow and wants people to contact committee members regarding Jayapal’s Medicare for All bill, HR1384, which HOPE says is a true single payer bill:

https://mailchi.mp/creativeresistance/urgent-take-action-today-for-medicare-for-all

1 Like

Elections have consequences. I know, we are tired of recalling that sentiment. M4A can make it out of the House, but it’s dead on arrival in the senate and WH.
There are a number of reasons that allowed a Trump win. People can assess or adjust how much blame goes to where, but it’s a time of CEO heaven.
Notice that the generals in Trumpenstein’s sphere have been arrested, quit, or have been fired. All replaced with corporate greed miesters.

1 Like

That is a huge problem. I don’t shop at Walmart on principle, but try to convince your so-called progressive friends. You probably won’t find many that don’t say “I can’t find cheaper prices anywhere else.” Few are willing to stand up for their own principles. I tell them to do a little research and you can avoid Walmart and that yes, you might have to spend more money, that otherwise you are part of the problem. They say “one person can’t make a difference”. That’s when I give up and realize most humans are too stupid to see the big picture.

1 Like

I hear you, Barton, believe me. It is almost like “STOOPID” is the popular choice of today’s (a)mericans over open-minds, education, and THOUGHT that might actually lead to action which might actually lead to POSITIVE CHANGE.

1 Like

Union! Union! Union!

2 Likes

Walmart flack sez:
“If Senator Sanders attends, we hope he will approach his visit not as a campaign stop, but as a constructive opportunity to learn about the many ways we’re working to provide increased economic opportunity, mobility, and benefits to our associates."

Oh, I expect there will be some educatin’ going on … but you’re probably not going to like it.

3 Likes

‘Sick and Tired of Being Paid Poverty Wages,’ Walmart Workers ̶I̶n̶v̶i̶t̶e̶ ̶B̶e̶r̶n̶i̶e̶ ̶S̶a̶n̶d̶e̶r̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶P̶r̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶T̶h̶e̶i̶r̶ ̶C̶a̶s̶e̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶S̶h̶a̶r̶e̶h̶o̶l̶d̶e̶r̶ ̶M̶e̶e̶t̶i̶n̶g Come to Realize That A Position as an Associate at Walmart is A Basement-Dwelling Job, Always Has Been and Always Will Be, That This Was to be Expected When They Started and that Any Other Job They Could Get is at Least On Par With and in All Likelihood Better For Them. They Quit On Mass and Move On To Better Things, Like So Many Associates Before Them

I, a one-time Walmart Associate, have de-clowned the headline for anyone who needed such done for them.

They will learn these things at their morning pep rallies.

Give me a ‘W’!
Give me an ‘A’!
Give me an ‘L’!
Give me a SQUIGGLY (~… ?)
Give me an 'M"!
Give me an ‘A’!
Give me an ‘R’!
Give me a ‘T’!

What’s that spell? ‘WAL~MART’!
I can’t hear you! ‘WAL~MART’!

Who’s the best? ________ (insert store number here) can’t be beat!

Free coffee & muffins at the end if there’s a McDonald’s in the store, which is great 'cause you can’t afford breakfast.

I’ve seen it. As Colonel Kurtz observed, “…the horror.”

1 Like

For real why don’t they spend their efforts on unionizing?

1 Like

Walmart has closed stores rather than allow unionization – but they can’t do that across all of them.

My feeling is that in an age of outsourced manufacturing and the automation of piecework, too many Americans are willingly owned and shafted by corporations. And that’s the story over 40 years: Stagnant wages, wealth transferred to shareholders, a gig economy, and politicians bragging about how great things are.

1 Like

That caught me too although what really caught me about it was the part before in which they claim they hope such a visit from Sanders would not be a campaign stop (gee, like Trump?) but an opportunity to learn about their great treatment of their “associates.”
In other words, we will tell you what to think and we are already being super, deli-iciously good to our wage slaves, and you’d better understand that because there is no way in dam-nation we are going to even think about dipping into our personal wages to let the real workers get something (for Tiny Tim’s Christmas meal).

1 Like

I’m not sure about the “willingly” part. Many are simply stuck because trying to find another job will cost them their health insurance; many more have been convinced that, as Maggie “Attilla the Hen” Thatcher said, “There is no alternative.”

I tend to believe Sam Cooke: “A change is gonna come.”

1 Like