Home | About | Donate

Side-By-Side: Obama's Speech on Race vs. Trump's Black History Month Remarks

Side-By-Side: Obama's Speech on Race vs. Trump's Black History Month Remarks

Common Dreams staff

On March 18, 2008, the recently-elected president, Barack Obama, delivered a speech on the subjects of race and racism at the Constitution Center in Philadelphia which later became known his "A More Perfect Union" address.

Today, Obama's successor, President Donald J. Trump delivered... err, remarks to acknowledge Black History Month at the White House.

The two speeches, side-by-side, follow:

Yes, he actually is President.

Cluck.

It's still hard for me to believe.

Wow...

wow...

wow...

guess that just about says it all...

wow....

I miss President Obama.

Great...LIES...terrific...LIES...wonderful...LIES...Fake News...LIES. Yup, SOS, different day.

And this, the most monstrous self-serving, pat-his-own-back LIE:

If you remember I wasn’t going to do well with the African-American community, and after they heard me speaking and talking about the inner city and lots of other things, we ended up getting—and I won’t go into details—but we ended up getting substantially more than other candidates who had run in the past years.

Carson is a sell out to his own race/ethnicity. If we are lucky, he will simply sleep throughout his days in the T-dump cabinet. Wonder if he realizes he is a "token" chosen by the diabolical duet of T-dump and Bannon.... Maybe because the pay is good....

T-dump's random, rambling rant and obvious total lack of preparation for an extremely important speech to launch Black History Month reflects his entrenched disrespect for people of color and complete disregard for our nation's documented cruelty heaped upon them that, through racism, police action, discrimination, incarceration, etc. lasts TO THIS DAY.

Hold on there partner! That was on account of the meltdown that was underway when Obama took office. I don't agree with how Obama and his Wall Street chums handled it, but it's not fair to lay the loss of wealth all at his feet. And, yes, I agree Bill has his fair share of responsibility, too.

Sadly, most Americans think and communicate at the 3rd grade level Trump speaks at, so he probably has an advantage there. Of course, what he's saying is superficial, self-serving and meaningless. Maybe that's what America has become. Sad.

Trump has already killed his first US citizen, an 8 year old girl. But you go ahead give him chance.

I never thought I would say this. Yes, I agree, but I would even say I would take war criminal Bush (aka "the Shrub") over DT.

Sorry, don't think there is a chance in hell this Nazi child rapist will get a second term.

This comparison is beyond sad. It is sad in a dark humor kind of way, where you don't know whether to laugh or cry.

I'm gonna go into my room and cry now.

Obama did have great credentials (although not a heck of a lot of actual governing experience), wonderful charisma and boy could he talk swell. Sounded like he'd make a great President.... too bad he didn't. As proof - we now got Trump. It'll be interesting to see how rich he gets from selling us all out. I'm guessing very.

Good luck to him on that. By the time he is done the country and the Dollar will have crashed and burned.

Either the date is wrong, or this is the speech before he was elected. Obama was elected in November 2008 so his first BHM speech as president would have been in February 2009.

No matter the circumstances or purpose of the event, Trump will quickly find a way to make it all about HIMSELF.

Pathetic!

CD is sloppy like that.

Trump's "speech" was absolutely shocking and appalling. But unfortunately, equally unpleasant to me right now is the memory-jolt of Obama's jingoistic attacks on Rev. Wrights frank and correct sermons on US militarism and imperialism. I had realized then and there that we needed to keep the antiwar resistance and broader social justice movements at full strength. But a rally at Lafayette Park the next month with a lineup of star speakers - Nader, Hedges, Kucinich - which a few months earlier would have turned out at least 100,000, the turnout was a few hundred.

"I’d go around with Ben to a lot of different places I wasn’t so familiar with." Not familiar with? So maybe he might be out of touch? No way. He has large estates in the white ghetto. How could he possibly be unfamiliar?