Home | About | Donate

'Silence Is Complicity': GOP Condemned for Doing Nothing as Trump Openly Touts Sabotage of Postal Service

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/08/13/silence-complicity-gop-condemned-doing-nothing-trump-openly-touts-sabotage-postal

5 Likes

Another one of those ‘demands’ that will go nowhere. Repugs will never pass the bill, and even if, by some miracle, they did pass it. the Dumpster will veto it. Wave bye-bye to any semblance of democracy, or any kind of representative system.

9 Likes

For the GOP, a win by any means is still a win. They know they cannot win elections without fixing them, and have known this since Reagan. Desperation calls for desperate measures and they are going all out this time to keep Agent Orange in the White House. It may just work.

7 Likes

Silence is Agreement.

“Silence is the ultimate weapon of power.”
― Charles de Gaulle

10 Likes

They realize they are losers, because nobody wants them,.so they will do anything to stay in power. It appears they feel invincible as they are unwittingly and dangerously creating a civil war against themselves and are begging to be taken out the hard way…be it.something akin to India’s Gandhi’s way or the French Revolution way. It can come to that.

3 Likes

Add these words of wisdom, Phred: “Silence IS complicity”,

And
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men (and women) to do nothing.” - Edmund Burke

12 Likes

Silence = Consent

3 Likes

I prefer this quote:

You may be sure that the Americans will commit all the stupidities they can think of, plus some that are beyond imagination.

Charles de Gaulle

7 Likes

In a sane country with a functioning democracy a leader who tried such a thing would be removed from office, but of course the US stopped being a true democracy and a sane country a long time ago. If trump is successful at rigging the election like he is opening in public admitting to we are in big trouble and will become like Russia where Putin has been doing stunts like this for years to keep himself in power. In other words, if trump is successful at this we may even have trouble getting rid of him in 2024, 2028, and so on as he gets better at rigging elections.

After waiting almost a week to get medicine that only had to travel about 30 miles to get to me (that traveled a lot further because it got re-routed from KS to Iowa) I have decided I can’t trust the US Postal System to deliver my mail-in ballot on time. I plan on voting early instead and would encourage others here to consider this option if it’s available in their area. Hopefully everyone else and his brother won’t decide to do the same thing and I can do this safely because we have a lot of idiots around here who still refuse to wear a mask.

11 Likes

Surprisingly the Dems have tried to correct USPS condition, but I assume Turtle won’t bring it up. Shouldn’t the Dems ?
ttps://federalsoup.com/articles/2020/02/05/bill-that-would-repeal-usps-prefund-requirement-passes-house.aspx

2 Likes

Yes they should, but the corporatist Dem Establishment won’t back it with any alacrity or force.

2 Likes

maybe its an opportunity for activism - if we all stopped paying utility, credit card, insurance, cable bills etc and blamed it on the Post Office, all big businesses would demand the Post Office be fully funded

3 Likes

Trump’s desire to destroy the U.S. Postal Office certainly gives lie to the claim, by both Democrats and Republicans, that the United States is the greatest country in the world as the Democrats seem powerless to stop the megalomaniac who is currently residing in the White House.

5 Likes

Absolutely true. Same truth for apathetic and/or kanye crap voters. You are complicit for keeping dictator Dump in our White House.

2 Likes

It shouldn’t just fall on the democrats in Washington. We have a huge portion of America that doesn’t vote at all. Some of the responsibility to oust trump should fall to them.

1 Like

But that is why most bills are paid online methinks. (Direct debit.)

First to start the sure path to the USPS downfall by demanding and passing a law to require the USPS fund its pensions 75 years into the future and now that the post office is short of funds they refuse to help—because they created the problem in the FIRST place. Also and importantly, the aid is being held up because of another ideological battle to defund SS which the GOP hated from its inception.Then the taxes they cut to defund the government except for the pentagon so that we are forced to borrow from the same people that should have paying taxes all along. These are not human beings.

The post office could easily go back to offering banking services but this too they oppose ideologically.

5 Likes

They certainly share some of the blame as one hundred million Americans decided to abstain from voting in the 2016 presidential election although one could also understand why they would do that, thinking that neither H. Clinton nor Trump was worth voting for. But I believe that our government’s leaders should shoulder most of that blame. Now one would logically think that the Democrats [that word deserves to be capitalized] would have impeached Trump by now, because of his inept handling of the pandemic which has caused at least 165,000 Americans to needlessly die and because of his desire to wreak havoc upon the Postal System in order to make sure that voter’s ballots will not be counted or sorted before the November election. But thinking that the pusillanimous Democrats would wish to hold governmental officials accountable, which is why the impeachment clause is in the U.S. Constitution, is an exercise in delusion.

3 Likes

It does admittedly ask one to wonder if the impassioned speeches and questioning by democrats was real.
I’m still a little tender from finding out wrestling is fake.

1 Like

Always thought that was Churchill