Home | About | Donate

'Silent Spring Is Already Here': Global Study Shows Nearly 25% Drop in Insect Numbers the Past 30 Years

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/04/24/silent-spring-already-here-global-study-shows-nearly-25-drop-insect-numbers-past-30

5 Likes

MBAs are taught to think in “food chains”, while Nature works in food webs. Insects will be back after We are gone. Nature bats last–there will be plenty of bacteria and fungi and the like to restart Her development of those flying wonders.

5 Likes

Not just the insects:

~https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/apr/22/mystery-bird-illness-investigated-after-german-blue-tit-deaths

3 Likes

The canary in a coal mine analogy comes to mind.

4 Likes

We’ve been hearing about this for some time now. It’s like a broken record that no-one can fix.

The thing is that about 85% of Americans don’t know what the canary in a coal mine reference means, and very few of those would be able to connect the dots if they did; but equally, even if they could process a simple thought for the first time in their family tree history, it wouldn’t help, because action has to initiate with corporate CEO’s in this country, and 99% of them are sociopaths and don’t care what happens to the world and the people in it, much less the insects.

4 Likes

The enormity of these environmental crimes make me infuriated and very sad. I grew-up within nature, but its destruction and “development”, the habitat loss and extinctions, the ignorant uncaring pollution and destruction allowed by corrupt government and tolerated by ignorant public too concerned with jackass fluff, holding jobs to pay slave-bills, or shallow stupidity makes my blood boil.
The central role the trump regime and its cretin chief plays is at the front of the crimes and I want to see them and their ability to continue to obliterate the Web of Life smashed. they promote extinctions to create short-term profits for a few as our Mother is repeatedly raped by greed and the depraved and Her creatures exterminated - all sanctioned by ignorant politics obsessed and dominated by vulture capitalism is not acceptable…

7 Likes

That just about sums it up. The vast majority of humans are too busy trying to survive to worry about a few insects which at first glance do nothing to help them. (Little do they know.)

4 Likes

From the article:

“…we need similarly strong legislation to improve the management of terrestrial wildlife habitats and to reduce light pollution.” (emphasis mine)

Tucson AZ, among other jurisdictions, has had a “dark skies” package of laws in place for many years, due to its proximity to the Kitt Peak Observatory. Does anybody have links to insect population studies specific to this area over time?

“It’s just not always easy to identify the causes of declines, and thus the most effective measures to reverse them. And these may also differ between locations.”

A big step is calling a halt to the agrochemical war against Earth. Soil is washing away from America far faster than it did from the middle East and Europe, Soil is the actual homeland and corporate representative democracy is eroding it away laced with chemical poisons and plastic microbits that become pseudo plankton upon reaching the sea.

4 Likes

That’s like the 64 thousand dollar question. But for what it’s worth, my terrace is always in darkness, yet i still have few insects. I blame it primarilary on pescicides used on the avocado/mango orchards in the surroundings.

1 Like

Hi Adam:

The canary bird let the miners know that the air was going and bad and would kill the miners as well. When the first bird stopped chirping, the men stopped living Of course, the birds were the warning------but I guess We the People are being used as the warning---- this time-------pollution kills—but it kills the poor, and unemployed first. I wonder what the plan is for food…will we get to be hand pollinators when all the bees are dead? : (

2 Likes

I’m sorry, is this some kind of abuse. I commented that imbeciles being the majrity of the population would not understand my canary reference, I never though I was taken to be one of them!

1 Like

Hi Adam:
You wrote that------ 85% of the populace doesn’t know what the canary in a coal mine refers to----so taking you at your word, I supplied the answer in case the 85% of the populace was reading. : )

1 Like

Believe me when I say that the Middle East and Africa would gladly export a few billion of their locusts our way. All we have to do is ask!

There is a 200 - 300% increase in my yard, including a colony of bees.

Considering the billions of locusts in East Africa, the remaining insects are even worse off, with an overall decline in diversity.

The 6th mass extinction is accelerating & includes virtually all classes of animals except maybe the jellyfish.

But we could & we know how to, but the fascist, corporatist powers that control the world keep getting in our way.

1 Like

habitat loss? as usual, the “solutions” make no mention of the role of human population growth (still adding another billion in about 12 years and then another…) spreading into all habitats and needing so much land for crops and livestock to feed us, not that much room for milkweed for the butterflies

1 Like

That analogy is false, and actually the only reason there is that we are in this mess. If “we” could do anything at all, as a people, If we had 1/100th of the intelligence of the average imbecile, it would be indicated by 0.00% voting right wing, and instead its at something like 85 -95% with democrats and republicans both on the radical extreme right. Since both parties serve the “corporatist powers” like well trained dogs, and since that fact is today and has been highly visible and obvious for over 45 years, then its no longer corporations fault, is it? CEO’s by themselves couldn’t add up to a number great enough to elect a single city mayor, even if they were all from the same city, and they aren’t. The voters insist, even when a viable candidate exists, on those right wing fanatics being elected, and 100% of the responsibility lies on voters, and none on the “corporatists”, who’s actions are easily known, highly predictable, and easily preventable.

1 Like