Home | About | Donate

Sing Me Back Home: RIP Don Williams

Sing Me Back Home: RIP Don Williams

The great, tender, plain-spoken Don Williams, "gentle giant" of a Zen country music of grace and soul, has died at 78. It's a grievous loss for those of us who used to listen to him on 8-track in our pick-ups cruising through the beatific woods. Williams, said the Country Music Hall of Fame, "offered calm, beauty, and a sense of wistful peace that is in short supply these days." May his voice endure, till the rivers all run dry.

“Sometimes I wonder who I am / But I believe in love.”

One more loss from the days when Country was, first-and-foremost, class-conscious!

Tom T. Hall - who could also be pretty Zen, will probably be next… This song of his entered my mind while watching barking fox squirrels in a tree in my yard yesterday…Western PA can be crazy with fox squirrels.

Loved the gentle giant. We sentimental types respind warmly to his music and poetry.

“If I Needed You” is one perfectly written lyric. A simple little tune, but gorgeously constructed, and as honest, humble and comforting as music can be.
Written by Townes Van Zandt. (RIP). Covered by many.
Cheers

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=31962

Townes Van Zandt introduced the song with the following statement at a private concert in Houston: “It came to me in a dream. I was living in Tennessee with Guy and Susanna Clark, and I was asleep, and I had a notepad by my mattress - I had a mattress on the floor. I was dreaming that I was a folk singer, and this was the song I played, and I happened to wake up, write it down, and went right back to sleep. The next morning I woke up, went to the room with all the guitars, picked up a guitar and played it through. It never has changed.”

Goodbye, Don. Your music will be cherished for a long time.

Another of the giants of Country’s Golden Age has fallen, but his words, his music and his soul are eternal. You know, I’m sure, that he wrote a couple of Patsy Cline’s biggest hits, and ther artists as well. Peace.

As a lover of that good old country music, Im gonna surely miss Don williams

Hi, Yunzer. " Tom T. Hall - who could also be pretty Zen". I have long thought of Tom T. Hall as the thinking person’s Country singer. I wonder what you mean by that comment.