Home | About | Donate

Single-Payer Provides Best Cure For California Health Care

Single-Payer Provides Best Cure For California Health Care

Malinda Markowitz

Imagine you are enduring excruciating abdominal pain so severe it forces you to rush to the emergency room. When diagnostic tests conclude it’s ovarian cysts, not an appendicitis, as you feared, your insurance company informs you that they won’t cover the staggering $12,596 bill.

Welcome to our dysfunctional and often heartless health care system, based on profits and ability to pay, and laden with discrimination based on gender, race, age, income and where you live.

Truthdig has an opinion piece called “The Path to National Improved Medicare for All.” It explains quite convincingly how nearly impossible it is for a state to create a true Single Payer health plan.

Any plan I’ve looked at has a $250 (at least) copay for ER visits (after the deductible, of course). I would guess it is that high an amount to encourage people to see their PCPs first.

And the line about not being able to pay an unexpected $1000 medical bill is misleading. Chances are if it is that big of a deal medically, you will be scheduled for nuclear imaging, which, last I knew, was around $4000, all paid out of pocket for most people. A lot of doctors want a follow-up or another kind of imaging, so in a couple of weeks, you’ve already been billed the amount of the deductible.

Gay marriage: started in a few states, and very soon when national.
Legalized pot: started in a few states and is spreading quickly.

Single-payer health-care: If it can start anywhere, it’s CA, and as someone on this site pointed out, states can work together so smaller states aren’t underfunded.

This headline, although I agree with it, is slightly misleading. Single-payer provides best cure for every state, not just California.

The article mentions that other states have used funding waivers do you know which states have done this and how that is working. Is this the trials in Colorado and Vermont. Because, CA had a waiver passed to cover the 9.1 percent not insured but dropped it when Trump was elected?

Cap and Trade funding? We see how well that has worked in controlling pollution.

Not so. We have the Ohio Healthcare Security Act before both houses of the Ohio Legislature. See SPANOhio.org

No I don’t. I have been told by more than 1 person that Hawaii has had universal health care for more than 20 yrs. If this is true, its hard to believe it hasn’t come up in the national discussion.

I found this on Hawaii as a cost analysis:

“Despite having one of the nations’ highest costs of living, Hawaii’s health insurance costs are some of the most reasonable. Along with one of the better low-cost silver plans, Hawaii also has one of the best health systems in the nation, ranked as the third best in the nation by the CommonWealth Fund’s study.”

“The state’s lowest-cost silver plan, HMSA Silver HMO, has a monthly premium of $260, which is slightly better than the $266 median, and it has a relatively low deductible of $2,500. It also charges flat copays for emergency care and visits to primary physicians, which help to limit plan holders’ costs when they need to use their insurance.”

The worst it can do is not pass.

A night in the hospital 12 years or so ago produced $25,000 in bills. Treatment was a raised leg and a neck brace, plus several meals.

crashing a health care system even worse, is not in anyone’s best interests.

Intentions are not outcomes.

This is a very slanted article but the issues are pretty good. It is pro SB 562 but it provides the structure. Also, why it is not a good idea if you think about it. There is also the actual study done at the Political Economic Research Institute. (not included but informative if interested)

Here is one for the author, if the healthcare provider uses the wrong code Medicare won’t pay for the service either. What is up with that???