Home | About | Donate

'Slap in the Face for People Suffering Across the Country': Critics Slam Watered-Down Covid Relief Deal

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/12/21/slap-face-people-suffering-across-country-critics-slam-watered-down-covid-relief

2 Likes

Slap in the face or knee in the groin?

9 Likes

Probably, both.

8 Likes

We have been “slapped in the face” so many times, its a wonder that we have enough nose left to pull our Covid-19 masks over.

12 Likes

While I try to consider it, I still can’t wrap my mind around the cruelty that some members of our species hold toward others of our species.

22 Likes

History is full of examples of widespread cruelty…think of how many heads were lopped off in the name of Christ during the Christian Crusades ?

8 Likes

That history is full of examples does not explain it however.

3 Likes

That is the question isn’t it? Are we worthy of this planet?

8 Likes

No, we are not.

7 Likes

I believe the question is, “Why do we allow ourselves to be ruled by greedy, self-centered fools?”

12 Likes

Deep down many are like their captors/tormentors, meaning if put in a similar situation, they would do the exact same thing. Some might blame ‘ego,’ others Darwinism, but the the result is the same. The structure of the government generally reflects the deeper nature of the collective, which includes greed and cruelty. There is probably a deeper psychology to it somewhere, I don’t know.

3 Likes

Good answer, LadyK! There was an old T.V. commercial that showed an Indian in a canoe rowing down a polluted river with tears in his eyes and that is exactly how my Native American spouse and I feel: WE DO NOT DESERVE THIS PLANET!

7 Likes

McConnell and his GOP ilk are employing a “slash and burn” battlefield strategy. They intend to leave this country’s economy in ruins hoping voters will blame Democrats for failing to repair the damage by the time the 2022 midterms roll around.

It’s like 2008 all over again.

7 Likes

They don’t seem to know what food and rent can cost. Next, they won’t understand what medical care in the U.S. can cost.

6 Likes

And demonstrates that humans have leaned nothing. It’s been the same since fire was discovered and the wheel was invented. If anyone thinks it will ever change, I have a bridge (in need of repair) to sell you.

1 Like

I recommend the November Hightower Lowdown for those who could use a dose of hope for the future of humanity and the planet.

~https://hightowerlowdown.org/article/timeless-truths-for-trying-times/

Humanity is more oriented toward helping each other than we may recognize-- after many too many years of Ayn Rand baloney.

2 Likes

** People! This is the best news we’ve heard in 40 long years!
Justice Democrats, Sunrise Movement Applaud Latest Economic Council Picks by Biden as 'Major Win’

by Julia Conley, staff writer

Progressives on Monday applauded President-elect Joe Biden’s selection of three new economic advisers who are expected to “prioritize the fight against structural inequality in our economy and democracy,” including a former economic policy director to Sen. Elizabeth Warren.
Get you $5 to those Georgia Senate races and keep sending them!!! ^This is THEE big moment! The end of trickle down economics!**

Ben fatto.

And the irony is that America’s leaders love to proclaim that the United States is an exceptional nation. Yes, exceptional in not providing substantial economic relief for its citizens during a time of a pandemic which is standard practice in many if not most industrialized countries.

5 Likes

Plantation Massa mentality. Kneel to McConnell, obey.