Home | About | Donate

'Slap in the Face': Top Court Overrules Local Fracking Bans in Colorado

Bravo to all the Colorado activists! There ain't no justice, just us - power to the people!

It's a setback. In the New York the ruling was the opposite for local communities and eventually fracking was banned for the entire state. This dispute over fracking has been raging in Colorado. Hopefully the people opposing fracking in Colorado will eventually win.

Another idiotic decision that demonstrates what a sham the system is that puts money decisions ahead of the health of people and the environment. Each of these types of decision put us closer to open revolt as the only way to address the problem.

When is a slap a constant beating and relegation to the toxic legacy of greed?

In the mean time native peoples and others are subjected to the lack of accountability of mining companies see: Dangers of Old Mines (scroll to title).

"On August 5 [2015], investigators from the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) were assessing conditions in the Gold King mine, just north of Silverton, Colorado. The mine, which had not been worked since 1923, had been discharging contaminated water into the nearby Cement Creek, which is a tributary of the Animas River. As investigators excavated to find the source of the continuing leaks from a mine pool, a loose part of the mine collapsed, allowing three millions gallons of pressurized water to spew into Cement Creek and to flow down into the Animas River and the San Juan River."

We know Bernie wants a complete ban on fracking - very straight forward.

Hillary on the other hand said, in her prevaricating way, during one of the debates, “You know, I don’t support it when any locality or any state is against it, number one. I don’t support it when the release of methane or contamination of water is present. I don’t support it — number three — unless we can require that anybody who fracks has to tell us exactly what chemicals they are using. So by the time we get through all of my conditions, I do not think there will be many places in America where fracking will continue to take place.”

I wonder how many of the Colorado Oil and Gas Association members are part of the fracking interests that have donated money to Hillary's campaign, Super PACs, or other funds? Another conflict. Which side will she choose?

In the meantime read the article in the El Paso Times about how flooding in Texas has caused oil and fracking chemicals into rivers and standing water. Apparently cattle that drank water infused with fracking chemicals died within an hour. Following is a link.

We have the same type of fight in Maui County, Hawaii to protect our health and environment from dangerous chemicals. In 2014 voters approved the first ever county initiative, which was a moratorium on GMO crops, particularly Monsanto's and Dow Chemical's outdoor chemical experiments for the GMO seed industry. Dangerous health risks, water contamination, and air pollution are associated with the practice.

But corrupt Maui County officials whom are "married to Monsanto" refused to carry out the democratic process to enforce the moratorium. Two corrupt federal district court judges ruled against the moratorium, citing preemption by state law. Meanwhile, Hawaii officials are doing nothing to protect our health.

It is beyond comprehension that the court fails to recognize the rights of people to live in a safe and healthy environment. The court apparently equates a government interest superior to human rights is a severe slap in the face to residents and local democracy alike.

On June 15, 2016, the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals will rule on the Maui County GMO Moratorium, and also the Hawaii County GMO Ban (that was also struck down), and also the Kauai County GMO Pesticide Disclosure Bill (that was also struck down). The Hawaii State Constitution protects the health of the people and the environment, but how do we make the politicians comply?

Hopefully, the majority of the public will win...as it should be.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.