Home | About | Donate

Slaying the Atomic Dragon: In Favor of the Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons

Slaying the Atomic Dragon: In Favor of the Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons

Robert Dodge

Today, September 26, is the International Day for the Total Abolition of Nuclear Weapons.

This day, first proclaimed by the United Nations General Assembly in 2013, draws attention to the international commitment to global nuclear disarmament by the majority of the world's nations as expressed in Article 6 of the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty. It also highlights the lack of progress by the nine nuclear nations who hold the rest of the world hostage with their nuclear arsenals.

Abolition of Nuclear Weapons! The answer to a maiden’s prayer. This is something I have worked for ever since I saw my first H-Bomb at the Marshal Islands in 1956, and suffered from the radiation exposure. I recovered and lived, many did not.
*When the NPT was signed I rejoiced! The US and the CCCP were working together to reduce and eventually eliminate their nuclear stockpiles. Then came the new century, loaded with promise of Peace, Love and Freedom. Then, we were Bushwhacked and those carefully worked out treaties and agreements were tossed in the trash can and the cold war resumed. This agreement could put us back on the road to nuclear disarmament, except for the fact that those with nuclear weapons have stated that they will not be a part of any such plan or treaty.
The World is now in the position of a man walking down the street between two angry men armed with machine guns, putting his arms up and hands out to both, saying, “Stop! Don’t you realize you will both be killed?” Then dying in the crossfire.
*Mrs. Minitrue says that “The most endangered species is man, because he continues to do self-destructive things even when he can see they will be fatal. He has the means to fix it, but is too stupid or short-sighted to do it.”
*We are now rapidly reaching the point of “Wake up, or die!” That is everybody, NO Survivors!
*So please,WAKE UP!
;-})

I Have Seen the Dragon

I have seen the Dragon
Through clenched lids and arms pressed tight.
I have felt its hot breath on my back
And listened to the rumble of its voice.

I have looked upon its breath,
Glowing Amethyst, red and purple,
Climbing towards the stratosphere
To deposit its venom downwind.

I have waited in fear as my gums began to bleed
And my hair came out in clumps.
I breathed a prayer of thanks
As I began to heal.

After fifty years, our ranks are thin,
We who have seen the Dragon and survived.
Those who have died or are sickened still,
Their numbers are legion.

All we can hope for, work for, pray for,
Is that no madman will ever be allowed
To unleash the Dragon again.
For its legacy to all is death, disease and decay.
2 November 2006
;-})

I was there, in Anchorage Alaska, looking up at the Nike sites in the Chugach Range-
My older sister had told me and my three brothers in the front yard on that cold October day back in 1962 that if those missiles, high on top of the Chugach range, were fueled and fired that it was probably the end of mankind- I can remember the horror of that day to this day…I remember imagining seeing that bright flash and that mushroom cloud that had been so vividly imprinted in A 13 year old mind by the AEC and all of the Spartan military info. movies of los alamos and Hiroshima/Nagasaki…

I was out last fall, in the front yard here in Michigan, staining 3/4 plywood sheets for the bed of my do it all trailer, drinking beer to over indulgence- when I came upon A protest idea for this small backwoods Michigan community- I took the stain pan and the roller and decided to make A statement in my driveway- I started in deep red stain, by painting A PEACE symbol, and on top of that symbol I wrote the words: BAN THE BOMB- Now keep in mind the size of A protest one can make with A paint roller and A full pan of stain on A drive way- I then proceeded to write in equally large letters: WAR IS A RACKET $-STOP THE MADNESS! and at the bottom of the peace symbol I wrote PEACE NOW!
People here on my road probably think I am CRAZY- I think people here on my road are CRAZY! Those stained words remain to this day-
Anyone, everyone in this Nation can make A difference and show that they are NOT submissive fools by doing what I did- everyone with A home and A drive way can do what I did last Fall- Anyone with A car can make A visible protest, just to show those in charge what we think of their madness…Woudn’t this be A clear message that people care and have not forgotten about the insanity of Nuclear destruction??? Just maybe this would start something really huge in turning this madness around…Please do something, anything to get your voice heard- If you make no effort, these bastards will think they have you by the balls!

I’ll leave you all with one of my favorite hero’s and the story that made him famous, and I truly believe that Vasili Alexandrovich Arkhipov would agree with me here :

PS:
We have no right what-so-ever in holding this sword of Damocles over the Nations of the World- Israel has no right, China, Russia, India, Pakistan, South Africa, France or Pakistan has NO RIGHT to threaten their neighbor with Nuclear annihilation-

This is why this Country, the USA has always kept and expanded on the Nuclear arsenal- Because it is A cheap and effective threat to get our greedy way in the World-

We are living on borrowed time by allowing this government to maintain and keep this nuclear arsenal- BORROWED TIME!!!

Couldn’t agree more !