Home | About | Donate

Snowden: 'Finally: Irrefutable Evidence That I Never Cooperated with Russian Intel'

Snowden: 'Finally: Irrefutable Evidence That I Never Cooperated with Russian Intel'

Common Dreams staff

Whistle-blower Edward Snowden has spoken on a report suggesting Vladimir Putin is considering sending him back to the US as a “gift” to President Donald Trump, claiming the story proves he is not a spy.

"Finally: irrefutable evidence that I never cooperated with Russian intel," Snowden said. "No country trades away spies, as the rest would fear they're next."

Snowden had best not rely on the facts and logic of "no country trades away spies, the rest would fear they were next".

Trump has made facts and logic two items on his list of enemies for his supporters to fear and believe that Tump is the only one who can save them from those contrived enemies.

Trump's base requires daily raw meat rations to stay loyal to him and Snowden risks being the ration du jour if he returns to Trump's Murka.

i heard that nbc report last night and immediately checked in with the intercept to see if glenn greenwald had anything to say about this. not a word from anyone there, so i left a comment on one article telling what nbc said. this morning i checked back at the intercept and still no response to this report.

ed snowden says he doesn't worry because he has done nothing wrong! i agree.

This doesn't pass the smell test. A "gift" of Snowden? Sounds sophomoric to me. Nixon, or someone,once gave Brezhnev a Cadillac, that's a gift.

The glorification of death and contempt for life (as well as greed, usury, corruption, bigotry, environmental rape & much more) for political actions by trump re Snowden, and HRC re the assassination/murder of Qaddafi (her depraved comment "We came, We Saw, He Died" & depraved cackle - shows her broken moral compass) are both representative of the rock-bottom level of common decency, moral compass and considered judgment by both - birds of a feather.......the absolute worst that can be offered.

Are these the best "leaders" America can put forward? Sanders was stolen from us by corrupt politics and that very rare chance destroyed.......

"Every country has the government it deserves" and "In a democracy people get the leaders they deserve." - Joseph de Maistre

If it were not for the millions showing-up and acting for the Common Good and "Golden Rule politics" of unity, I would be very low indeed................

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/feb/11/standing-rock-army-veterans-camp - Army veterans return to Standing Rock to form a human shield against police

Hasta La Victoria Siempre!

Edward Snowden is like a breath of fresh air in a fetid sewer. I don't have the words to express how deeply moved I am by his courage and decency.

not if you can buy your own
Returning Snowden to the US would be a monumental gift to Trump. Both the Ds and Rs in Congress will relish Snowden's descent into the country's deepest, darkest prison. The Ds were just as rabid over Snowden as the Rs.

I absolutely agree 100x over.

During the D primary debate with Anderson Cooper moderating:

Sanders: "Sanders went on to say—point blank, as Anderson insisted—that he would shut down the NSA surveillance as it exists today. "Virtually every telephone call in this country ends up in a file at the NSA. That is unacceptable to me," Sanders said. "But it's not just government surveillance. I think the government is involved in our e-mails, is involved in our websites. Corporate America is doing it as well. If we are a free country, we have the right to be free. Yes, we have to defend ourselves against terrorism, but there are ways to do that without impinging on our constitutional rights and our privacy rights.""

Lincoln Chaffee: "COOPER: Governor Chafee, Edward Snowden, is he a traitor or a hero?

CHAFEE: No, I would bring him home. The courts have ruled that what he did—what he did was say the American...

(CROSSTALK)

COOPER: Bring him home, no jail time?

CHAFEE: ... the American government was acting illegally. That's what the federal courts have said; what Snowden did showed that the American government was acting illegally for the Fourth Amendment. So I would bring him home."

Time to seriously figure out how to get Ed to the South American country (was it Bolivia, or Ecuador?) where he has already been granted asylum. I'm guessing that those efforts may already be ongoing, or may never have ended, are just dormant waiting for the right opportunity. Never tip your hand. One day we wake up to the news that it's happened, which is how those things are supposed to work. Anyway, if there is justice in this World he gets away clean, and eventually we get a government that will tell the truth and welcome him home as the patriot he really is (and also exonerate Manning).

Snowden is not the one damaging our country and making us look like dopes.

I'm not sure what you mean by smell test. Are you implying that such a gift to Trump would be some kind of fabricated story to benefit...who? Or, to smear...who? Even Snowden seems to be acknowledging the story - that is why he is pointing out that this implies that he is not a spy - it will be needed to save his own life.

That Putin would do this should Trump win the presidency always seemed dead-obvious to me. The transfer of Snowden will make Trump and Putin shine in the eyes of average USAns who consider Snowden to be a traitor.

Actually Ray,

There's a long history of trading spies between the West and it's enemies.
May I suggest we trade Clinton and Obama war criminals for Snowden?

It's a win-win-win.

Snowden will be out of Russia whenever it suits Putin. No sooner. No later.

These days doing "nothing wrong" is almost a sure ticket to the pokey ...

Sanders wasn't "stolen" from you - he abdicated ...

So Chafee was the only decent dude on that issue ... clear when you read the whole article ...

Edward, you carry our love with you. Never forget. And that's a yuuuuuge amount of love.

Assange was granted asylum by Ecuador - wasn't aware that Snowden has been so granted by anyone ....

But I, too, think it is time for him to hightail it out of there ... He is no use to Putin there now and would be a nice "gesture" to "Art of the Deal" Trump who he would, indeed, like to do "business" with ...

Snowden didn't look too comfortable in that interview - he does see it as a possibility, but he seems to think it would vindicate him? In whose eyes, pray tell - in the eyes of the courts that have sent many whistleblowers to prison? I don't think so - he's a smart guy, he oughta know better -