Home | About | Donate

'So Awful': Military Returns to Streets in Chile as Unrest Simmers

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/10/20/so-awful-military-returns-streets-chile-unrest-simmers

A background on US interference in Chile’s affairs that led to Pinochet–The US America lies repeatedly when it claims to be for freedom and has yet to demonstrate how capitalism is compatible with democracy when it is nothing more than a dictatorship of the corporations:

9 Likes

More history:

7 Likes
2 Likes

There are demonstrations all over the world against neoliberalism and it’s ensuing crisis of climate change, colonialism and militarism: South Africa, Lebanon, France, Haiti, New York, London, Algeria, Palestine.
The Revolution will be worldwide, because all the systems of control and resource and labor extraction are interconnected transnationally throughout almost all societies.

4 Likes

Link’s not working, but here’s another interesting piece showing that the vector of repressive austerity goes in both directions, a blowback that directly threatens American working people.

https://www.cato.org/policy-report/januaryfebruary-2016/president-clinton-chilean-model

1 Like
1 Like

“The country’s billionaire rightwing President Sebastián Piñera announced late Saturday that he was suspending a planned 4 percent increase in subway fares.”

…rightwing billionaire…pretty much sums it up for us too…

2 Likes

I replaced it with something that gives you how it actually occurred

1 Like

Billionaires spent millions avoiding taxes but will stick it to peasants in a heart beat to fund their corruption …

2 Likes

People are sick of austerity foisted upon them by the 1%. Banks, IMF stripping the people of public assets. Forcing them to pay off billions in loans, stealing public pensions etc.
Long history of United States meddling in their affairs.

3 Likes

William Blum’s Killing Hope is a treasure trove of such information of American involvement over the globe.

4 Likes

Chile may be the most neoliberal economy in the hemisphere and ironically, it is the still nationalized copper sector that has helped in hard times. Its privatized pension system is a disaster, which Pinera has even admitte, but Clinton, Pete Petersonand the rest of the right see it as a model to follow. Chile is likely our future if we don’t move beyond capitalism. Those that tell you about how everything that doesn’t yet exist and deviates too much from the present is unrealistic are all corrupt and have no solutions to any of our societal problems. They are simply saying that they will continue down a path that Chile started decades ago and they will not do anything to alter that path. Thinking we can regulate capitalism, given how these people have designed the international economic system, to work tons better than it does is absurd.

4 Likes

At some point it might also be worthwhile to read Eduardo Galeano’s Open Veins of Latin America.

1 Like

I am not an economist but there seem to be some similarities with what happened in Argentina. Liz Warren strikes me as the candidate that wants to “reform” capitalism.

1 Like

Interesting to hear more details than some accounts which give more stress to the oosa’s role in the overthrow which was said to be supported by the capitalist oligarchy.

The people are out in the streets in Hong Kong and Catalonia too. I really love the bedlam and noise from the pots, pans and cucharas. Wish the folks here would adopt the incessant noise. How awful it sounds!

Did you see that Australia Media actually blacked out paragraphs on the front pages of newspapers in protest.

1 Like

Thanks, it looks like something l need to read to fill in gaps.

1 Like

Add Chile to the list of places (Hong Kong, Puerto Rico, France, etc.) where the citizens have enough fitness and courage to go en masse into the streets and shut down the country until change happens.
Strange that American citizens in the 60s and 70s had that same courage and fitness, but apparently not anymore.
My feeling is that only mass strikes, not just voting and impeachment, especially strikes that cripple Trump’s hotels and golf courses, are going to dislodge the corrupt people ruling our federal government.

1 Like

Makes me sick to see pictures like this one. Military support vehicles being used to do crowd control of civilian protestors. If it is going to continue, we need some anti-war billionaires to supply US civilians with military style vehicles as well.
Diplomacy first I would hope.

1 Like