Home | About | Donate

So I Am Done Being Wishy-Washy. Impeach Trump. Now

So I Am Done Being Wishy-Washy. Impeach Trump. Now

Leonard Pitts Jr.

I’ll admit that I’ve been wishy-washy about this.

In May of 2017, shortly after Donald Trump fired FBI Director James Comey and spilled top secret information to the Russians, I took to this space to chide his party for its silence in this monstrosity of a presidency and to demand action. “Impeach him now,” I wrote.

Mr. Pitts, you may want to look at a recent Noam
Chomsky interview concerning how the Democratic
Party leadership, by calling for Trump’s impeachment,
is setting up the beast for re-election; but I’m sure this is
not your wish.

2 Likes

I think maybe it is time to take a step back on our pursuit of things. Triage is in order here. We can’t fix all that Trump has broken, therefor we have to repair the worst of it even as we legislate and investigate, and maybe impeach while chewing gum.

Sadly we have put on the shelf the idea of using the 25th amendment. The man is not only mentally unstable, he is a dangerous nut job pretending to be running the asylum.

1 Like

The Trump game plan is now laid bare: He would run out the clock, hoping that by stone-walling all information requests from Congress, his evil deeds may not come into focus before his re-election in 2020. Two things Democrats with low intestinal fortitude should remember:

1. The most damning evidence in Mueller’s repport pertains to criminal conduct of obstruction of justice, and the five-year statute of limitation for them runs out if he is re-elected.

2. Information the Pelusi Congress squeezes out from Trump in drips and dabs will not galvinize public opinion against Trump’s election campaign. A bold PR strategy is needed.

So, as much as I admire every tactic Bernie has taken on our behalf, I must respectfully disagree with him, and support Elizabeth Warren in going for the jugular. Only the drama of a Congressional impeachment effort can derail any Trump stone-walling, AND keeps the focus on Trump’s crimes during an election cycle. Together, Warren and AOCsome can do it - i.e. stiffen the back bones in the likes of Go-Slow-Pelosi.

2 Likes

For the past 40 years, the US has been dominated by “pragmatists.” Obviously, we need to be grounded in reality. But we also need to be guided by principles. Over the past 40 years, “principles” have been reduced to mere words to be trotted out at the appropriate occasion, then forgotten when any important policy question comes up. The result has been a serious deterioration of our culture, our society, our standing in the world.

I’d like to see at least one mainstream party that stands for principles I believe in. Trump has been a catastrophe as President – not just for this country but for the very future of our species. If the Democrats actually had the good of the country and the future at heart and not just winning the next election they’d be doing everything they could to kick Trump out of office.

1 Like

Or, Matt Taibbi’s article in RS ( latest issue ) which calls " Russiagate " an overhyped MSM driven event, on steroids.
And, of course, some Warren & Harris supporters are taking this opportunity " to bash " their opponents for pointing out that it might be for other reasons they’re so principled, all of a sudden. All 20 of them, though?
Then there are the " inevitability bullshiters "; that have Biden being canonized by The Establishment, another hyped MSM dog and pony show.
Sen. Sanders has a policy proposal of letting the incarcerated vote. Not a peep about that, though. Except for Sen. " Sheriff " Harris & Don LemonHead off CNN , going right to the extremes by conjuring up The Boston Bombers & The Boston Strangler, perhaps? ( I don’t know what BS questions were asked after that, I turned off THE TEEVEE. And, started putting padlocks on the birdcages in my house. )
Call the Sheriff’s Dept.!
Sen. Sander’s fundraising went well, though, supposedly. So, there’s that, too.
I know it was a younger crowd for those interviews, but they must of have been plenty enough " Russiagate " Kool-Aid ( just add vodka ) to go around. That would explain a lot, imo.

1 Like

Nice and emotional Leonard, but short on common sense.

The rule of law has been dead for many years in this country, so what would an impeachment actually accomplish? It would take long months if it succeeded.

Point is that the government has more important things to talk about than whether or not DJT is a crook. Intelligent people knew that decades ago.

So why waste still more time when there are more pressing issues for a government claiming to be representing the people?

1 Like

Mr. Pitts, in light of the Mueller report, what is the evidence substantiating your claim ?

2 Likes

Ignoring the moronic Russia baiting, why would anyone believe that the corrupt traitors which make up most of America’s senate would ever actually go after one of their own for being corrupt?

I keep forgetting who said this so I am just paraphrasing but Trump could not ask for a better reelection campaign than the efforts of the Democratic Party.

1 Like

Good remembrance MCH. My apologies to William S., “but a rose is still a rose by any other name”

Thanks for the reply Msann. Makes me wonder if all the Russiagate fanatics aren’t drunk

There are many reasons for opposing Trump but, like so many Democrats, Pitts misses them all. The entire nonsense of Russiagate was unfounded and a dangerous waste of time and energy.
Were it true that Russians were involved in leaking the truth about the DNC to the American people-and there is not a shred of evidence to suggest that it is- they would have been acting not to destroy but to save American Democracy.
Unless that is that, like Clinton and the DNC, democracy is defined as being a process whereby the wishes of the voters are systematically negated by manipulators betraying the trust inherent in the offices they dishonour. Cheating is wrong and the emails leaked through Wikileaks chronicle, exactly and honestly, a series of frauds upon the Democratic party and its supporters. Any decent citizen put in possession of such information should have publicised it as widely as possible.

1 Like