Home | About | Donate

Social Exclusion and Black Women’s Pay

Social Exclusion and Black Women’s Pay

Amy Traub

August 7 is Black Women’s Equal Pay Day, marking the date when African-American women’s wages since January 1, 2017 finally catch up to what the typical white man was paid in calendar year 2017. This day falls more than 8 months into 2018, underscoring the harsh impacts of racial and gender inequity in the American labor market: Employers pay black women who work full-time, year-round just 63 cents for each dollar they pay to non-Hispanic white men.

Very important article. As a female in the tech industry I can say I’ve worked at a lot of places - (75% of tech workers are contractors, and possibly even more now a days) and I’ve never worked with a black woman or seen one in my profession. Rarely have I seen a black at all. It is also a nearly all male dominated profession that was changing until the 2008 recession when news articles said men were having a harder time finding jobs (women were finding very low paying jobs easier) and the women in my profession were laid off and never hired back while the male managers tried to keep the men. I personally witnessed this and the animosity from males, for me being employed, and it was clear that it was industry wide. The black women never had a chance to even get into the profession. I was the only senior network admin with massive experience and Cisco and Microsoft creds and already in charge of the infrastructure or I wouldn’t have lasted. There was no male to take my job but some getting layed off in non-related fields, certainly vied for it.