Home | About | Donate

Social Media Helped Trump Win By 'Dumbing Down the World,' Twitter Founder Says

Social Media Helped Trump Win By 'Dumbing Down the World,' Twitter Founder Says

Jake Johnson, staff writer

In an interview on BBC Radio 4's "Today" on Tuesday, Twitter co-founder Evan Williams argued that social media platforms—including the one he helped create—greatly contributed to Donald Trump's ascent to the White House by shortening attention spans and "dumbing the entire world down."

Williams should close Trump’s Twitter account. There are infinite reasons for doing so as I’m sure anyone who’s read them well realizes

Thanks for speaking truth to power Evan.

How about taking another one for the team, and closing down Trump’s account for gross misuse and incite-ful tweets.

Twitler must be brought down.

If I were Williams, I’d give up any guilt over creating Twitter just yet. Put away your indulgences of sack cloth and ashes. The basest instincts aroused by Twitler Hemingway divide, conquer, undermine, and create the prevalence of “let’s you and them fight” scenarios that are now escalating into deadly violence in public areas, partly initiated and instigated by corrupt law enforcement, military and “security” agencies who want even more of their excess share taxpayer funding.

We do not have all the evidence yet showing how our election system was hacked and rigged by the DNC and RNC and their Russian “allies.” We know the DNC engaged in at least as much voter suppression, gerrymandering, fraud and disappearing of ballots as the RNC in 2016. All the narratives being promulgated by the NYT are cover-ups to these truths, which we can all see are self-evident after generations and centuries of the same elites’ squads tactics.

Of course the irony is that whole concept of Twitter is dumbing down the world.

It did not start with Twitter. The pacing of television advertising and programming have been shortening the attention span of Americans for the last 50 years. Few people write or speak in complex sentences anymore. Bumper sticker mentality …

The Twitter Tweets, or whatever they are, are incapable of naming or understanding irony. Another one of those quirky essential pieces of humanity that have forever gone down the rabbit hole. I hate the reality of aging, but I am glad that I am old. I shudder at the thought of the future that this present guarantees.

Thanks for this reminder MM. It seems that all of our memories and attention spans are seriously deformed by the Age of the Media, or whatever you want to call it.

Anti-intellectualism in the US goes all the way back to the days of George Washington. A large segment of the US culture supports being dumbed down. They celebrate it. Dump things do well, whether it is junk on television, junky movies, page turning books, or tabloid newspapers. The internet and social media in particular amplifies dumbing down. With smart phones (maybe not the best name for these devices) people can now be dumbed down essentially all the time when not asleep. Even more than Facebook, Twitter amplifies dumbing down because inane tweets can reach such a large number of people. Trump supposedly has about 55 million followers. That is a lot of people being exposed to stupid tweets. Ultimately there may be no solution unless people somehow decide to become responsible citizens. That probably requires following politics and world events at least to some extent through established newspapers and magazines and at least occasionally reading a serious book if for no other reason to realize there is a serious world out there among all the junk.

Social Media Helped Trump Win By ‘Dumbing Down the World,’ Twitter Founder Says

“ONLY TWITS TWITTER” — Wm. Claude Johnson-Barr, April 1, 2013

Excellent x-ample of the premise of NOT thinking about the past - but only the future. How convenient… hindsight is so satisfyingly 20/20.

Our media was dumbed down and inaccurate before twitter was ever invented. They follow campaigns to keep them close and keep eyeballs on their screens. They are complicit in coverage of this clown and all that was right there for them to report.

Let’s not forget our ‘educational’ system. Racists funding policies, coupled with assaults on education budgets, coupled with teach-to-the-test policies and the utter disrespect teachers are accorded, it’s not just the media. The dumbing down of America has been going on for decades.

“Hillary Clinton Helped Trump Win By Being Hillary Clinton”

Williams is apparently no longer with Twitter. Didn’t you read the article, or do you know something I don’t?

Right. Read Jerry Mander’s Four Arguments for the Elimination of Television (1978), then read Neil Postman’s Amusing Ourselves to Death (1985). MySpace, Facebook, Twitter, and the rest merely increase the debasement of language that Orwell wrote about in 1984 (1949), of which Yale historian Timothy Snyder reminded us in On Tyranny (2017), Lesson 9: “Be kind to our language.”

I believe they are called twits.

“Pro-business” Democrats love TV commercials.

Perhaps we should call THEM twits also.

Not difficult to do for they who are dumb enough to resort to social media for their news/fake news/bots/trolls… And as for them (especially the DJT loyalists/base) you could probably count on one hand how many times they have visited ANY library or checked out/read a non-fiction book. Why do that when they can buy a People magazine or other gossip rag at the grocery check out stand/!