Home | About | Donate

Social Security’s Customer Service Budget Finally Got An Increase – But It’s Only a Starting Point

Social Security’s Customer Service Budget Finally Got An Increase – But It’s Only a Starting Point

Nancy Altman

Social Security doesn’t add a penny to the deficit. Neither does the cost of administering the program – the field offices, telephone lines, employee salaries, and other expenses. All of it comes from Social Security’s dedicated revenue and accumulated surplus, which is $2.9 trillion and growing. Congress does have the authority, though, to limit how much the Social Security Administration (SSA) can spend in any given year.

Great article and well said. Thank you

People on social security need at least a 10% increase to get to an income where they can survive.

Please remember this in November, and vote in your best interest.

Here’s another fact about SS Disability benefits that the public needs to know. I had a partner who applied for benefits for a severe back injury from a vehicle accident. She applied, with all of the proper paperwork, and was denied. Then hired a lawyer, and was told by the lawyer that every claim is turned down at least twice. She finely won her benefits, but it took a lawyer and 3 years. She was lucky because she had retirement benefits and me to live off of until she won, most don’t have that. I realize there are scammers out there, but this is disgraceful.

Great work. We must indeed defend and expand Social Security, tying payments to the cost of living. Support for this should be a requirement for candidates.