Home | About | Donate

'Solitary Confinement Is Torture': Ocasio-Cortez Calls for Chelsea Manning's Release

'Solitary Confinement Is Torture': Ocasio-Cortez Calls for Chelsea Manning's Release

Jake Johnson, staff writer

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Tuesday demanded the release of U.S. Army whistleblower Chelsea Manning and called for a ban on extended solitary confinement.

"Chelsea Manning has been trapped in solitary confinement for refusing to answer questions before a Grand Jury," tweeted the congresswoman from New York. "Solitary confinement is torture. Chelsea is being tortured for whistleblowing, she should be released on bail, and we should ban extended solitary in the U.S."

5 Likes

Solitary confinement is torture. And this is particularly loathsome because they are trying to torture her into giving false testimony against Jullian Assange, another brave whistleblower. Whistleblowers should be given protection, not subjected to the revenge of the corrupt governments they expose.

19 Likes

I envy the voters in AOC’s district. They have a real representative. Our newly elected house member in Washington’s 8th–Kim Schrier–was selected by conservadems to run and since arriving in DC has dropped off the radar.

How refreshing to see a representative who takes positions and has courage.

20 Likes

For years now we have been experiencing ugliness like no other. Maybe?, just maybe we can start to turn the tide and become the humane animal we have the potential to be. Please.

6 Likes

Chelsea Manning also needs to be nominated and receive both the Nobel prize and the Congressional Medal of Honor.

12 Likes

Chelsea Manning and Edward Snowden, Julian Assange and Bill Binney, the list goes on and I will add the perspective that they hold up a mirror to the excruciating degree of dependency the current institutions of this system have on the constant hammering of oppression into silence. Silence is demanded on any matter of importance, otherwise the threats are made that the bludgeon will be swung. In the mean time the greed turns the extractors and the insensate “privileged” effete continue to drool. This is the institutional profile that eats up the tripe of a Cambridge Analytica.

The degree of ethical unsustainability, the sheer brittleness and distortion is a message in and of itself. People all over the world are awakening to the vapid and violent core masked by smarmy media. Facebook? at your peril

5 Likes

I don’t doubt that one bit.

But I don’t think that is the primary motive. I think the primary motive is to come up with new charges of perjury against her.

They granted her immunity. That means if she confesses to a crime while testifying, they won’t charge that crime to her. That means if she testifies that previous testimony was false and they prove the previous testimony was false, they won’t charge her on perjury regarding that previous testimony.

But it doesn’t mean if they find her committing false testimony now that they can’t charge her with perjury. Contempt of court is a temporary thing. Perjury charges would mean a new trial and they could lock her back up for much longer than she’ll be in for these contempt charges.

Here’s the deal. When she’s on the stand she has to rely on memory. But the prosecutor has the transcript of her previous testimony. If she says something different that’s perjury. It’s the same trap they used on Flynn to get him on lying to the FBI. They had a transcript of his phone conversation with the Russian ambassador. He only had his memory. Did he intentionally lie or did he trip up? I don’t know. But it is a trap and I think that they want to undo the commutation.

She is wise to refuse to testify.

Personally if I am every asked to testify and they ask me to swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth I will decline right then. I will say, “No. I won’t swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth because that is impossible to do.”

6 Likes

Manning should have left the country.

Criticize the military butchery at one’s peril. The “exceptional” country doesn’t do war crimes. Only the created enemies are guilty.

3 Likes

There is no 5th Amendment protection against self incrimination in a grand jury.

If you refuse to answer any question you are in contempt and can be imprisoned until you agree to testify.

Let us not forget another political prisoner, Reality Winner. Serving five years in prison for a conviction by a kangaroo court. Reminders all, that the FBI is a corrupt gestapo and an enrmy of the left.

4 Likes

We need the Whibbly, a medal for whistleblowers:
(https://previews.123rf.com/images/dny3d/dny3d1701/dny3d170100106/71090706-golden-trophy-with-whistle-on-white-background-3d-illustration.jpg)

2 Likes

Two beautiful ladies. Thankyou ms manning and ms cortez for your combined courage.

3 Likes

AOC, AOC AOC, Thank You! Your TRUTHS will set us all free----because how can you have a democratic republic without it? : )

2 Likes

" ‘We have a unique responsibility to protect those that have the courage to come out and say when something is wrong, regardless of the administration,’ the congresswoman said. ‘It doesn’t matter the party. When something is going wrong in government—when there is overreach, when there’s an abuse, or a misconduct of process—we have an obligation to see and investigate it.’ "

Well said. Moreover, parties contribute to a lot “going wrong in government”. Whistleblowers have been abused and retaliated against by both parties – Obama charging more people under the Espionage Act than all the other presidents combined. If we are mainly interested in being productive and the best America we can be, we should do away with parties, as Washington preferred. I think we should have perhaps a numeric system for judging all candidates – no party (or other) names. That is just divisive and counterproductive. It is also a false dichotomy – we all overlap in opinions more than differ. A scale with various categories of opinions for all candidates, maybe with a total score unique to their views, allows one to judge, pick, and vote on someone closest to their ideal, out of a range of candidates, not just from one political side or the other. Money is also divisive and limiting – limit the amount that can be spent for races and subsidize those without the funds. Perhaps a person needs so many signed petitions to get on a ballot. Lobbying dollars and gifts should be out.

Along these lines, what we can do better, I think companies that have a product that causes health problems (there’s statistics on these numbers of illnesses, hospital costs, etc.) should have to pay that cost to society – and/or the consumer could pay when they purchase. That would go a long way to cutting back health expenses for all of us. Why should those of us who, for example, watch what we ingest, inhale, etc., have to pay for those who don’t? Maybe this system would lead to a healthier society. We have to do something – many can’t afford insurance and this could be a big savings. I know companies will balk, but how much longer are going to put them, and lobbyists, ahead of our well-being as a nation? Right now there is lessor care for those without a premium policy, even here.

So, in our efforts, still as a seeming fledgling Nation, trying to get things right, Chelsea has taken an important stand. She is in prison, in part, defending my right to say and write this stuff – including commenting on our healthcare system and “G_ds” – the “political parties”. Can’t say this kind of thing everywhere in the World, guarantee that. Chelsea’s standing up for Our First Amendment Rights, and others. Most importantly, she is helping to strengthen the foundation of Our Republic and enforce the humanity Our Constitution strives for. She said that what she has seen is not right, this is not American values, and it’s not what Our Soldiers are supposed to fight and die for. It’s NOT WHO WE ARE. She stood up for the values most of us have, as did Kiriakou, Snowden, and all the others. We thank them for courageously setting the bar, as only a few could have; a bar that says yes, we are that Beacon, and if I have anything to say about it … we will always be…

An important related topic is the relationship between the military and civilians. The military protects us, and they are us, but do civilians really know much about it? In other countries military service is compulsory, and that might not be a bad thing, That improved relationship, as well as reforming the Intel Apparatus, can’t happen fast enough. Chelsea, thank you, we hear you, and we are all watching.

1 Like

Hi ourcnstitution.info: Yes! I agree. Particularly those companies that cause maiming and death. After all, if corporations claim to be people, then they should be treated as people. If I main you, you sue me. If I kill you, I can get the death penalty—if I injure you in any way, I pay-----as humans have resources against other humans.

If corporations want to be people----then they too must pay. They can’t be like the bats in Aesops Fable where during the war between the animals and those of the air— bats played it with ways. Corporations---- like bats cannot pretend to be people at one time and then not people in another.
We have to support those who whistleblow, because, otherwise FREE SPEECH is MIA and soon America will be extinct as a democratic republic. : (

What do you think would happen to you, if you said this?

Do you know why this is so?

Even better, using the Precautionary Principle–basing all decisions on best health and ecological outcome and knowledge rather than the current system of assuming a product or process is OK until proven otherwise, and not allowing things that cause more trouble than they’re worth and things that don’t markedly improve either our lives or impact. In addition, sufficient insurance required for any possible effects of any product or process. (Not the kind of ‘wink wink nudge nudge’ evasions fossil fuel corporations use–self-insurance, insuring with shell corporations and subsidiaries, etc.

We have to rethink corporations; limited liability allows the rich to profit and use those and other kinds of system-gaming to escape even corporate responsibility. (Oil tankers saddled with so much transferred or artificial debt that suing their owners for damage caused accomplishes nothing, for example.) The CEO and BOD of Monsanto sold it to Bayer and are now among the richest people on Earth while Monsanto has twice been judged liable for tens of millions for causing cancer… with 11,000–yes, literally, 11,000–more plaintiffs in the wings. [Author chortles with schadenfreudenisch glee.]

And of course, utter, complete, absolute protections for whistleblowers.

The military doesn’t protect us; it serves as Profit Protection Services for corporations, and as empire protection and expansion in a system of intimidation, punishment and vengeance. The US military is also the single greatest GHG emitter in the world; it needs to be shrunk by 90% and its people and assets retasked as a Civilian Climate and Conservation Corps

2 Likes

It depends on the judge. One might just find me in contempt. Another might say, “To the best of your ability.”

To the latter judge I’d say, “But I wouldn’t be telling the truth even if it meant to the best of my ability if I swore to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth when I might exercise my 5th amendment right to not say anything. So it still is impossible for me to swear to tell the truth as I’d be lying in swearing such a thing.”

The latter judge might then say, “Unless you exercise your fifth amendment rights.”

Then I’d say, “I swear to tell, to the best of my ability, the truth as I understand it, the whole truth as I understand it, and nothing but the truth as I understand it unless I exercise my fifth amendment rights, which I intend to do to every question, since even if I think I’m telling the truth to the best of my ability you, judge, might think I’m not and charge me with perjury.”

I’d probably be found in contempt then and put in prison.

As you can tell, I don’t believe our justice system has any sense of justice to it.

3 Likes