Home | About | Donate

Something Like Coronavirus Is Exactly What the Doomsday Clock Has Been Warning About

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/05/14/something-coronavirus-exactly-what-doomsday-clock-has-been-warning-about

1 Like

We have become so accustomed not to have to deal with various deadly diseases such as smallpox, typhoid, diphtheria, measles, polio, cholera…that we’ve been blindsided by a new plague. Even as short a time ago as 70 years, children were expected to endure measles, chicken pox, mumps, and scarlet fever, with parents fearing polio. Many were left with residuals. The polio vaccine ranks with the discovery of penicillin and insulin as one of the great medical triumphs of the 20th Century.
During that era of the 50’s, we also were terrified of nuclear war. People built bomb shelters in their backyards, being told by our government such a war could be survived. But more deadly plagues…no, not possible, not with vaccines and much improved sanitation.
Even Riane Eisler, in her dystopian ending of The Chalice and the Blade, looked for dominator strongmen to end it all with a radioactive wasteland, not plague and mass graves.
Where is the hope? In children raised in more of a partnership, cooperative culture. Of our children looking at how other countries care for their most vulnerable. And maybe those of us Elders who haven’t given up quite yet. I will continue to call out those who say climate change is a hoax, that rich people have a natural right to rule over the rest of us(now we know where that seniors should sacrifice themselves for the good of the economy meme-the Koch Brothers and their various foundations).
And if Covid wins? Well, the rich die too…

2 Likes

Their inaction on climate change proves in the end the rich don’t care if they die with us. As long as they die with the most toys and money.

2 Likes

“Social isolation and other tactics to combat coronavirus pandemic are not those needed to address nuclear weapons and climate change.” I’ll disagree with that statement because staying home has reduced insane traffic and air pollution in some part generated by the nuclear power industry and its waste product. The shorter distances we travel from home, the more we may imagine building a future less like the incurably diseased world just before the pandemic hit. In short, we can’t go back to business as usual.

1 Like

We ain’t seen nothing yet, I suspect. What the doomsday clock has been warning us about is doom. I suppose all the jerking around and manipulation and the absence of an honest response could be similar.

1 Like

I saw a bumper sticker on the back of an expensive new car awhile back that said exactly the same thing: HE WHO DIES WITH THE MOST TOYS WINS.

In the above picture, the clock is running too slow because with a criminally, insane POTUS with his hands on the nuclear trigger, to me, it is not 100 seconds to midnight but more like 30 seconds to midnight and if Dr. Strangelove wins in next November, move it to 15 seconds before midnight!