Home | About | Donate

Sorry, Corporate Media: The More Americans Hear Bernie Sanders, The More They Like Him

Sorry, Corporate Media: The More Americans Hear Bernie Sanders, The More They Like Him

Ted Morgan

Dear Corporate Media:

In bringing us the 2016 election spectacle, you demonstrate once again that the national mass media in the United States function, consciously or not, as the guardians of “managed democracy.” That is, as the distinguished political scientist Sheldon Wolin observed, democracy that does not threaten the interests of, well, you, the corporate elite.

"Clearly, the more Americans hear Bernie Sanders, the more they like what they are hearing: personal integrity, commitment to an egalitarian democracy, and some profound truth-telling about the nature of American politics."

The above statement is precisely why Mr. Sanders is NOT heard from.... much.

Here again are the statistics:

"The three major news networks gave Donald Trump 284 minutes of coverage from January 1, 2015 through November, as compared to 10 minutes for Bernie Sanders. The disparity on ABC World News Tonight was even more staggering: 81 minutes for Trump, less than 20 seconds for Sanders!"

Is anyone surprised that the New York Times--the paper that did so much to build a FALSE case for war against Iraq (to the great profit and pleasure of the M.I.C) would downplay Sanders in order to ensure war-hawk Mrs. Clinton the American throne?

Only the illusion of choice will be tolerated. Any genuine threat to the existing status quo that privileges the 1% so greatly over everyone (and every living thing) else will be treated with... accordingly.

And based on these logistics, the forum's faux Leftists still insist that we must support the Green Party and/or Jill Stein.

No longer does their stance that Mr. Sanders is just another Hillary-lite corporate shill hold water. For IF that were so, this level of seeking to denigrate, render invisible or irrelevant (aimed at Sanders by the media message shapers) would not be the case.

Bernie is also separating the neoliberals from the liberals.

See my reply to Siouxrose1

Where is it?

I was just going to say that, but you said it better!
So I am left to repeat quotes some visionary statements by Robert F. Kennedy (Is that, why he was killed?):

• The Irish were not wanted there [when his grandfather came to Boston]. Now an Irish Catholic is president of the United States … There is no question about it. In the next 40 years a Negro can achieve the same position that my brother has.

• The problem of power is how to achieve its responsible use rather than its irresponsible and indulgent use — of how to get men of power to live for the public rather than off the public.

And:

• A revolution is coming — a revolution which will be peaceful if we are wise enough; compassionate if we care enough; successful if we are fortunate enough — But a revolution which is coming whether we will it or not. We can affect its character; we cannot alter its inevitability.
    In a speech in the United States Senate (9 May 1966)
    All from: https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Robert_F._Kennedy

I believe, that the Feel the Bern movement fulfills all the desirable aspects of that revolution. That is, why we have to get Bernie Sanders into the White House and support him, why he is there and that means, that we have to overcome the boycott by the corporate media and hammer our message home through our social connections time and again.

Sorry, I wanted that Robert Kennedy post as a reply to you, but inadvertently posted it as free standing. You were too swift and caught me, while I was still trying to change the post into a reply. :wink: :blush:

Dear Bernie,
First they ignore you, (check)
then they laugh at you, (check)
then they fight you, (in progress)
then you win. (can't wait)
-Mahatma Gandhi

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

LOL. You crack me up, Cookies! Love it.

Great little article.

Nevada is tough to accurately poll - transient and relatively small population, many people with odd working hours, a caucus state with unpredictable turnout - but numerous poll watchers assert that as of now, Sanders has caught Clinton in Nevada, and they are essentially even going into the caucus. Here's one site:

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/election-2016/primary-forecast/nevada-democratic/

"Go Bernie! Fucking Go!'
That's a good idea for signs in front yards across America.

Good point, well made :wink:

An English couple arrived yesterday at a friend's house. Both are politically active in the U.K. and pay close attention to all things American. "Paul", one of the Brits who has been dying to ask my opinion about the latest race to the Presidency asked me... "So, what do you think of Trump?" I replied... "Not much. The big story is how Bernie Sanders is capturing the minds and hearts of every American he addresses." Paul then queried... "Bernie who? Never heard of him!"
It was a testament to just how little media coverage Sanders has garnered the world over as every corporate media network on the planet seems to have gotten its walking orders to avoid even mentioning Bernie Sanders and his political juggernaut to bring democracy back to America. Naturally I gave the Brits the scoop and told them to "bring the Bern back to England" when they left.
Too many Americans still reply... "Bernie who?" when I approach them as well, but as time rolls on, it will be harder and harder for the MSM to pretend that Bernie doesn't exist. If (and it is a big "if") Bernie somehow survives the DNC expected coup d'etat in July by the Democrat's 700 corporate delegates, it will be the biggest story of the new millennium in American politics by a Montana mile. Go Bernie go!

If some of the cool Black artists and pundits manage to get a Black Rapper to sing a pro-Bernie tune, that would get him "on the map" to that demographic... the one Hillary thinks she has in her back pocket.

There are pertinent parallels between Senator Sanders here and Jeremy Corbin in the UK. They both have been saying the same thing for 30 years. Now the times are right for their message. The British capitalist, corporate media almost had a conniption when Corbin won the Labor Party's leadership post.

The Borg is in trouble?

One more pressor like today and they won't like him for long.