Home | About | Donate

South Australia to Go 100% Solar as Sun Power Offers World's Cheapest Energy

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/10/26/south-australia-go-100-solar-sun-power-offers-worlds-cheapest-energy

2 Likes

Having worked in the renewable power generation industry (including skin in the game projects) for decades, rest assured that this one hour experiment can easily be replicated in many locations around the world. During summer California regularly “curtails” power generation seeing how they have so much photovoltaic power.

Also rest assured that anybody who thinks 100% utility scale solar is feasible anywhere on the globe is as delusional as the Trump cult. Batteries will continue to improve but will always have limitations, including serious negative environmental impacts. Yes, solar needs to be and will be a bigger part of the power generation mix, but anybody who thinks it is a silver bullet needs to become as grounded as the electrical system they are proposing to improve.

3 Likes

I agree with Raydelcamino’s premise that PV solar has limitations, or rather, that it’s potential is not realized with so-called solar farms or “solar fields” as a better term. The most effective PV solar is “rooftop” arrays on homes, carports and apartment buildings, matched to parked EVs and combined with neighborhood mini-grids. A household EV forms the basis of a backup power supply that will keep the lights on, fridge, stovetop and communication devices working in emergency grid failure. What good is a field of solar panels when long-distance transmission lines or regional utility grid fails? Uhhhh. Corporate interests do not want households to invest in survival. Corporate interests make more money off people dying and ever so willing to pay any exorbitant charge to keep the lights on. Corporate interests want humanity to die off soon. La dee da. Their reclusive estates are powered with rooftop solar and battery storage to wait out the die off.

2 Likes

If I had solar panels put on the roof of my house, how long would they last? Thank you very much!

They would last at least 30 years. Whatever their cost to install
would be recovered with reduced utility bills.