Home | About | Donate

Speak the Name of Beauty

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/08/03/speak-name-beauty

2 Likes

It’s “Nature’s Way” of telling you…

…in a song.

5 Likes

As a recovering blood sportsman, I witnessed the loss of nature’s beauty firsthand. It made me a conservationist, hated by conservatives from Trump to Bolsonaro.

I feel for the Indigenous tribes who lived in nature. They must know that they can’t go back. Re-wilding won’t withstand the human plague. It could take a Chernobyl or a Bikini Atoll to re-establish nature, but without humans.

1 Like

Thank you.

1 Like

Thank Randy California and the other boys in Spirit.

They’re the musical geniuses behind the song.

Here’s another one of my favorites by Spirit…

1 Like

Guess I’ll fire one up.

1 Like

My sentiments exactly.

1 Like

Like Aldo Leopold:

We reached the old wolf in time to watch a fierce green fire dying in her eyes. I realized then, and have known ever since, that there was something new to me in those eyes – something known only to her and to the mountain. I was young then, and full of trigger-itch; I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters’ paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view.

6 Likes

Thank you Aleph. You made my day.

1 Like

Something about that passage… Leopold’s prose soars into the most mysterious place: the place where a person changes, where the sense of compassion just falls open, almost accidentally. I don’t even know if it’s true, or a fond fantasy… I don’t remember anything like this, any moment of transformation like this, happening to me. So I’m not sure if it’s a myth. But it’s all we got, if we’re to pull through the times ahead with real compassion.

And that still doesn’t plumb the depths of Leopold’s magic memory. Somehow I can’t pull my eyes away, reading it over and over until I start weeping. I don’t fully understand why.

2 Likes

Heart wrenching. We modern humans are a cancer on our planet. When I think of Colorado, as in so many other spots in the US, I am reminded of the horrific Sand Creek massacre of the first nations by John Chivington’s militia the very people that had coexisted with nature without destroying the ecosystems while maintaining them.

3 Likes

The First Nations understood all this and lived it.

1 Like

The Twelve Dreams of DR Sardonicus is one of the all time great albums.

1 Like

The underlying premise of the First Nations peoples when it comes to the land and nature is “The land is not here to serve us, we are here to serve the land”. They are in effect extensions of the land in which they live and not the opossite.

1 Like

A few years ago, I was part of a family reunion in Estes Park. We drove spectacular Trail Ridge Road to the visitor’s center where I pointed out Never Summer Range to my niece. With snow-filled cirques, pointed peaks and serrated ridges, Never Summer looks like mountains should. Pure natural beauty. Just the sight of them changes your brain chemistry, if only for a moment. Really appreciate the author highlighting aesthetics, an invaluable aspect of life . As Muir said, “Man needs beauty as well as bread.”

1 Like

Very appropriate, I have that book, I know that segment you write of, and, like natureboy, I used to hunt deer, elk myself, no longer! Anyway, very nice post, Thank you very much.

2 Likes

Agreed. In Western esoteric thought it is much the same.

The “Twelve Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus” is indeed one of the great musical works, of all time.