Home | About | Donate

Special Counsel Robert Mueller to Deliver Public Statement

Special Counsel Robert Mueller to Deliver Public Statement

Common Dreams staff

This is a developing story which may be updated... Check back for further developments...

Special Counsel Robert Mueller is set to deliver a public statement on Wednesday, though it remains unclear exactly he will say.

According to The Hill, "The on-camera appearance will be the first time Mueller speaks publicly about the investigation. The Justice Department said he will not take questions."

1 Like

“The Justice Department said he will not take questions.”

More Obstruction.

5 Likes

Indeed. A cock block for the rooster of truth.

4 Likes

Mueller is a long-time spook and establishment toadie. He will never have the courage or character to lead public opinion to the truth that the emperor has no clothes and the empire is in its death throes. And I hope, in a couple hours, to eat these words. But I probably won’t have to.

9 Likes

Unfortunately, probably true.

1 Like

Spot on Ed, and exactly what I thought, the day Mueller was tapped for the job.

3 Likes

Well, Mueller’s statement was a bit of a nothing burger, now wasn’t it. Wonder what kompromat is out there on him? My read while watching was that he wanted to say more than he did.

4 Likes

that was laughable. but it did the job. kept the ball in the air for the kids to keep playing with, but he added absolutely nothing to what was already known.

democrats can continue to read their fanfiction; republicans theirs. everybody wins. and loses.

this was always a matter to be decided by the impeachment process, and nothing’s changed that. So either impeach or shut up and move on and leave Trump’s legal woes for when he leaves office.

3 Likes

Sure enough, it was a big nothing. Mueller: what a coward; what a tool. No eatin’ crow for me…

2 Likes

I wasn’t expecting much but this nothing burger of a performance even exceeded by non existent expectations.
Why bother?

1 Like

Mueller basically said, “I did my job. Now, other’s, including every American, must use what is in the report, and do what is right.”

1 Like

Is anyone paying attention??? The AG Barr said that the president was “exonerated” ----Barr also stated that Mueller could have charged the president with a crime if he wanted too. The Attorney General Barr needs to step down for lying.

Mueller has clearly stated that this investigation needs to go to Congress and continue.

The two major parties are a disgrace --------because of the corruption of both political parties this total goof has become president.

5 Likes

If everyone keeps stalling it makes less and less sense to pretend to see a need to impeach. Barr’s impeachment should already be in the works.
Mueller’s wish to not testify before congress seems like providing cover for Trump.
We should also keep in mind Trump’s pardon power. That messes with any timing of investigation or charging of Barr in particular, and Trump more broadly.

1 Like

Mueller proved to me that he is part of the problem; not the solution. His legalize, doublespeak was exactly what I expected from a Republican.

3 Likes

Mueller is about as useful to this nation as an empty box of tampons is to women. Just last week or so his team expressed reticence to him testifying publicly in front of the House Judiciary Committee. They expressed that he does not want to appear political.

Yes, I mean we wouldn’t want anyone to mistake him, or anyone in this country really who has a voice and power to actually do something about Trump, for someone taking a firm political stance against authoritarianism and reemergent nazism. How embarrassing for him that would be.

I dont expect the testimony by this goon to result in anything of value. Not today, not tomorrow, not ever. Remember this is the same guy who, when he could have, refused to make a public statement right after Barr grossly misrepresented and right out lied about the findings of his Report. Instead he waited for weeks and even then only sent a meek letter saying so. I dont expect him appearing before the House to be any different and the way I know the Democrats, they will waste this opportunity to ask meaningful questions and they’ll blow this one too.The irony, of course, is that this goon did give them a pathway to impeachment and they still refuse to do anything about it, instead insisting on this dead-end hearing where the GOP can just twist everything in the news and the Democrats not challenging it.

2 Likes

No crimes or thefts by a shitting president will be charged or tried.
This was decreed by a committee of dumbocrats and repugs working together. That sounded familiar to me and I finally placed it. That is the same thing that happens and has happened in many South and Central American countries. The main difference is that down there, they usually shoot anyone suggesting or bringing charges. Up here, they just get a few years in solitary. We refer to those “leaders” in the south as dictators. Up here, they are called Presidents. The stench from both is the same. So is the result.
*We refer to those southern governments as "Banana Republics." Up here, they are called (nudge, nudge, wink wink) "Democracies," or "Constitutional Republics." (You’re not supposed to smirk when you use those titles up here!)
*Noxin walked and I suppose the fat one will, too.
;-})

4 Likes

Trump is not even being impeached. To say he walked is a huge understatement. Walking implies he was at least held to count and then got off the hook. We arent even doing that. On the contrary, the guy is now starting investigations into his investigation and calling those who investigated him traitors for whom the punishment is death per the Constitution. This is where we are headed. it is not completely inconceivable that in a few years the Trump regime will round up political opponents and publicly execute them for treason. With the Assange indictment they are already well on their way to criminalizing journalism and going after journalists. Couple that with McConnell stacking the courts for life with judges who promise to uphold Republican rule (i.e. bigotry, hate, greed, corruption, authoritarianism) and you set yourself up a little dictatorship and the death of a Republic by a 1000 cuts.

4 Likes

Not only did Tricky Dick walk—he asked for a $9,000,000 severance package on his way out the door (but settled for $3,000,000). What a guy.

But I’m not sure the Southern District of NY is going to be quite so magnanimous toward Pwesident Twump.

3 Likes

So if you are president you can violate federal laws at will with no criminal charges being filed. If you are a regular american citizen when you violate federal law you will be charged and the resources of the state used to prosecute you. I thought we had a president not a king. What a hypocrisy.

2 Likes

Pretty Clear I thought. Course I like a good lawyer.
Course everyone here wants their burger cooked their own way.

Key Points, for Ms Pelosi…

(Pay Attention here) “if we had confidence that the president clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said so” (oh, so he did commit crime)

reiterating the central allegation of our indictments, that there were multiple, systemic efforts to interfere in our election. (Russia does Covert Ops ??? Really)

Russian intelligence officers who are part of the Russian military, launched a concerted attack on our political system. (Oh Yeah, We have the same US Ops, that still doesn’t make it legal)

a private Russian entity engaged in a social media operation, where Russian citizens posed as Americans in order to influence an election (Mercs like Blackwater)

the opinion says that the Constitution requires a process other than the criminal justice system to formally accuse a sitting president of wrongdoing

Well that last one puts is squarely in Pelosi’s court.
We require Impeachment for Resolution.
Is that too oblique for you Ms Pelosi.

BTW…“if we had confidence that the president clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said so,” and since Special Counsel didn’t say no
That would be a yes, and it requires the Congress to handle the “yes he did” response.

3 Likes