Home | About | Donate

Species in Peril: Loss, Love and Protection

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/09/14/species-peril-loss-love-and-protection

4 Likes

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Every day I am astounded by the potential for better relationships between humans and the animals (and other humans) with whom we share our planet. There are intelligent species all around us, many of them share the skills that we once thought distinguished us from “animals”.

There is still time to turn our relationship with our planet around. maybe we all should start trying to live like that future is already here, somehow. By helping animals. We have to do much more.

4 Likes

So many “cultures” have so much hubris when it comes to the Planet and Her other Inhabitants, it astounds me. Neither my brother nor sister get my reverence for all Life and never will. Their loss. The price I had to pay was to reject Calvin at the age of six and just go through the motions until the age of independence. On of my better choices, I’d say. When I found Emerson in high school it was like getting a permission slip for my reticence.

3 Likes

It’s not just wild species that suffer loss: Domestic animals suffer profound and never-ending loss, denied lives worth living with dignity, denied empathy and love, and granted “protection” whenever convenient for us.

Species are composed of unique individuals, they are not generic abstractions–they are not “all the same.” The same is true of domestic species–whom we have bodily and mentally deformed on our Agricultural Procrustean Bed:

Greek mythology tells the story of Procrustes, a smith, thief, and torturer. When not looking for people to attack, he invited travelers into his home to rest in his bed. If they didn’t fit to his bed, he’d stretch them out if they were too short; or if they were too tall, he’d hack away their limbs until they fit properly. And if a traveler did fit his bed, he had another bed and would move the unsuspecting traveler to the other one and stretch or hack him as needed.

3 Likes

We should always be kind to travelers. Who knows when we might be travelers ourselves.

Seriously.

2 Likes

The wall itself is an ecological nightmare. The Trump administration is only speeding up our own species demise. They are just too fucking stupid to look beyond their psychopathic, narcissistic selves. The 6th Mass Extinction Event is now going full tilt. It’s not just our friendly, cute, non-human people, like the Polar Bears, that are dying off, it’s the lesser animals like insects and many plants as well. And they just don’t give a flying fuck. I would relish a way to project myself into the near future and watch a starving billionaire try to count his $billions while holding his breath while dipped in a vat of the toxic waste his corporation produced and disposed of illegally. Sorry, today I’m especially pissed at our dreadful circumstances. As ecologist Guy McPherson says; “only love remains”.

3 Likes

The supremacist stance of stupid, hubristic, humans, of the murderous western culture which includes us, the enlightened caring folks that embrace all life, the others knows that knows no bounds and will never acknowledge that all life is precious, not just stupid humans. A sad state indeed.

2 Likes

I agree. I have been humbled by the committed relationships even my chickens(!) display toward each other. All my girls have a BFF. They bond deeply soon after they hatch, and they maintain their relationships their entire lives. They grieve if anyone is lost. They will go out and call for a missing chicken for several days before they give up, as long as the one missing is a girl. By the time the boys are teenagers, everyone in the hen house is glad to see them go.

1 Like