Home | About | Donate

Species Threatened as Climate Crisis Pushes Mother Nature 'Out of Synch'

Species Threatened as Climate Crisis Pushes Mother Nature 'Out of Synch'

Julia Conley, staff writer

The warming of the Earth over the past several decades is throwing Mother Nature's food chain out of whack and leaving many species struggling to survive, according to new research published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

The study offers the latest evidence that the climate crisis that human activity has contributed to has had far-reaching effects throughout the planet.

From the article:

The “mismatch” could begin contributing to the endangerment of species that are unable to find food they’ve relied on, the researchers said.

Including humans!!!
It’s not only climate change. Insecticides are denying birds their food and already there are marked decreases in wild birds in France.

When I think on the fate of Mother Earth’s creatures and their decimation even since my childhood - of the end of innocence for children in today’s shallow, wage-slave world. the loss of so many priceless lifeforms and beauty beyond compare, my heart weeps for children that will never know that magic and all the creatures to become extinct.

We are led by evil stupidity and ignorance; by men and women who know only greed and wealth as their goals of life on earth, and they make all humankind poorer for their blindness.

"Those who contemplate the beauty of the earth find reserves of strength that will endure as long as life lasts. There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of nature – the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after winter"

“A child’s world is fresh and new and beautiful, full or wonder and excitement. It is our misfortune that for most of us that clear-eyed vision, that true instinct for what is beautiful and awe-inspiring, is dimmed and even lost before we reach adulthood. If I had influence with the good fairy who is supposed to preside over the christening of all children, I should ask that her gift to each child in the world be a sense of wonder so indestructible that it would last throughout life, as an unfailing antidote against the boredom and disenchantment of later year…the alienation from the sources of our strength.” Rachel Carson

climate engineering and geoengineering needs to end along w alot of other stuff

Over 70 years ago governments around the world made the decision to launch the global geoengineering experiment without public knowledge or consent, an experiment from which there is no return. There can be no legitimate discussion about the state of the climate without first and foremost addressing the subject of climate engineering.

Things should really get far out of synch if emissions are not reduced and the average temperature begins to increase by 1C in about 20 years as has been predicted. If 2C is reached by about 2035 the effects on ecological systems could begin to get quite severe, If 4C is reached by 2080 ecological systems that are critical to human societies might start collapsing. Continuing to emit greenhouse gases in the amounts that are currently being emitted is incredibly risky. And much of the US public continues to vote for Republicans who deny reality and claim there is no problem.

First all elections are all rigged–did you ever watch the movie Trump stole it . It came out before any vote was cast.

“Most of the examples were about food,” Heather Kharouba, lead author of the paper, told the National Observer. “Is it available or is it not?”

Just keep having more children and go shopping. I’m sure this has nothing to do with humans.

As usual, I ignore the Koch Brothers’ corporate troll farm that is posting on this forum. Boy do they have a lot of money to waste!

I’ve seen an estimate that Eaarth is losing 200 species per day in 2018. Some species are adaptable, some are gone. In retrospect we’re going to miss the extinct ones.

The real out of synch problem comes when we discover that humanity is living off of a very few standardized grains, wheat, corn, rice, inbred for optimum harvests in a stable world, and that maybe these grains won’t work that well in a climate-crazy world. What if it doesn’t rain for 30 days? Heat? Cold? Insect plagues?

What will we eat? Fish?

Doesn’t Mother Nature just want unicorns and rainbows? See, we “pragmatists” will let her know what is or isn’t reasonable politically and economically, and we magically expect Mother Nature to adjust to our pragmatism. If she doesn’t, she’s just not realistic and doesn’t understand that it is pragmatism that will determine the fate of our species and planet, and not objective laws of science. If we pretend that we have more time for our gradualist bullshit, then the objective laws of nature don’t matter. Did I mention that I and people like me are the adults in the room? We like capitalism, and we don’t care if markets don’t include lots of relevant information and if capitalism depends on the continuous expansion of throughput and the generation of pollutants, in a world of finite resource and a finite amount of space in the biosphere to be used as a sink for our wastes. Like this corrupt political system, we expect Mother Nature to bend to what we want. Did I mention that we’re the adults in the room? We are, and we won’t allow structural changes to our lifestyles or those funding our bullshit propaganda.

Or Democrats, that do 3% of what is needed, and have that 3% nullified by stuff they do elsewhere. The bar shouldn’t be so low that a party deserves someone’s vote because they don’t deny science. If we need radical changes and your party opposes radical changes then it isn’t any more pragmatic in the long run. We get to the same point, it will just take a little longer.

The UN Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues is currently in session.

[quote=“Steven77, post:6, topic:50942”]
First all elections are all rigged [/quote]

Yes, they are rigged in many ways and what more proof does one need than the last election!

This past week end we received 19.2 inches of snow in Saint Paul.
Yup, April 16th and loads of snow…
I was getting groceries at the co-op and a robin all fluffed up and was resting in a tree in the pkg lot.
Snow was coming down like crazy, the wind was blowing hard and I just felt awful.

And unfortunately, it seems like this greed,and egregious stupidity will not end until there is this future headline: MILLIONS PERISHING DUE TO PLAGUE OF CLIMATE CRISIS! Far reaching effects throughout entire planet!

Thank you for putting up this video.
I have spent considerable time in both Brazil and Peru in the Amazon.
Back in the day machetes and chain saws were the worst humans could do to the floresta.
Now, its huge ginormous machines that rip out hectors at a time so cattle can graze and gmo soybeans can grow. This destruction is soul wrenching and heartbreaking. My friends in Acre are having a hard time.
Again, a big thank you for putting this vid out.

Elections are all rigged? Do you work for the board of elections or something? So how are they rigged?

What radical change are you proposing? Would it be politically popular enough to adopt? The democrats attempts to act on climate change have been thwarted by the Republicans for the most part. They somehow did get improved standards for vehicle fuel efficiency passed although Trump the climate denier wants to roll that back. The best accomplishments of Democrats on climate change can be seen at the state level and local level (particularly in the larger cities). Considering there are only two major parties and only one with virtually all its politicians believing in the science of climate change while the other party consists of mostly deniers it seems pretty obvious how to vote for people who make fighting climate change a high priority.

Watch the movie

“What will we eat, fish?” Well, even that is looking more and more unlikely. The current estimate is that by 2050 HALF of the mass in the oceans will not be biological but plastic. Also, I recently heard an estimate that, since 1940, 40% of land animals have disappeared around the world. After all of this we have idiots like Elon Musk who insist that colonizing Mars can save us! I have a question for you Mr. Billionaire Visionary. Where the hell do get the nerve to claim that we even have a right to colonize Mars after what we have done to Earth? Plus, that feels an awful lot like throwing the huge majority of us to the metaphorical wolves while the rich people who were more responsible for creating this appalling mess get to leave. Well, I got news for you Elon and your fellow elitists - Mars isn’t going to be any picnic either.

Global warming models state that there is more moisture in the air because of heating which raises the ability of the air to carry water vapor. Hence, more snow if conditions are cold enough. Also, there has a been a dramatic change in the location of the jet stream which has resulted in the formation of cold air coming farther south than usual from Alaska and Canada. The resulting meteorological phenomenon is called the “polar vortex”.