Home | About | Donate

Spiritual Death/Spiritual Awakening

Spiritual Death/Spiritual Awakening

Fran Shor

As we approach the 50th anniversary on April 4 of the assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., perhaps the most appropriate testament to his moral leadership would be the citation of certain prophetic passages in his compelling address, “A Time to Break Silence.” Delivered at the Riverside Church in New York City one year to the day before his death, much of the focus of that talk is on the origins and impact of the Vietnam War. Because of Dr.

The same animus drives all our violence right now: Will a nation that has 7,000 Nukes and wants to build more, stop the sale of AR 15s? Stop the racism and the path from school to prison? Stop the “terrorism” wars? Stop the mistreatment of women? Stop the mistreatment of refugees?
Hell no, because it is all connected and they can’t cut out a piece w/o changing the whole system of our very violent country.

Why wasn’t the fate of a truly good man such as Martin Luther King Jr. reserved for those such as 45 who is one of the worst of men?

Which of djt’s tweets will be remembered 50 years after his death? That’s the fate that matters.

Spiritual Death: believing the governments lie and conspiracy theory that James Earl Ray was solely responsible for the assassination of MLK who was a perceived threat to the politically, powerful.

Spiritual Awakening: Not believing the governments fairy tale!

Thanks for this piece. The fact that the U.S. left is so preoccupied with the Tweeting Idiot of Orange demonstrates exactly how corrupt, ineffective and stoopid it has become. Rather than dealing head on with the capitalist empire, as so ably described by MLK, 50 years ago, we are stuck in a foggy swamp engaged in a War of the Tweets.

Tom Johnson1:

Beginning late last week I began having connectivity issues with the internet. Most of the last two days haven’t been able to get on at all, so just this morning saw your post about moving to Columbus, OH. I haven’t lived there for over 27 years and have only seldom been back; we now live in our ancestral home in eastern Ohio, near Steubenville. Sorry I don’t have any progressive leads for you wrt Columbus.

You wish it were fate that decided these things. His “fate” was man-made, and precisely because he was the opposite of 45.

Such a good article. For some reason, it reminded me of the speed of light with which candidate Obama got rid of his long term mentor/pastor for saying “chickens have come home to roost.” Was it X who said it first?

Thx for getting back. I often have connectivity issues - w/ most people in these (Dis)United States. Anyway, thanks much.

It was only reading your reply a second time that I glommed the meaning. Keep the faith. I just completed 20 sessions of pulmonary rehab where I got to know a nurse, only several years younger than myself, who is a kindred spirit. This country is filled with people that are not what the manufacturers of consent want us to believe that they are. How we mobilize, how we become effective, is yet beyond me, but I’m not dead yet.

Those last five words are the mot important…in struggle there is hope. Good Health and Luck to You.

Solidarity

Never a call for “cease-fire.” Never a call to gather at the common table in human recognition and share “the good news.” Never a breaking of the silence. Never
ending vietnam behavior. Never not in compliance with the violence.

I still think that the speech, “Beyond Vietnam: A Time to Break Silence”, delivered at Riverside Church on April 4, 1967, is the greatest speech in American History. Not only are King’s words still relevant today: They are more relevant than ever! The speech was both a prophecy and a warning. It is Life versus Death! This nation cannot avoid this choice. It will be one or the other. There will be no abstentions.

Yeah, MLK and RFK killed in such a close period of time was and is very depressing.