Home | About | Donate

Spreading 'Like Wildfire': Majority of Americans—Including 74% of Democrats—Now Support Single-Payer

Spreading 'Like Wildfire': Majority of Americans—Including 74% of Democrats—Now Support Single-Payer

Jessica Corbett, staff writer

"Five years ago, could you have believed that half of Americans would agree we need a single-payer healthcare system?"

From the article:

“The American people know that healthcare should be a right.”

I suggest reframing that statement, thus:

“The American people have agreed that providing health care to all, using government as intermediary, is the fairest way to achieve and maintain a healthy society.”

9 Likes

Healthcare, “not” Insurance Coverage, will Transform this country.

Healthcare, including yearly Mental Health exams for every single American will be the beginning of the Equality For All movement.

8 Likes

Serial fake news that there is “gridlock” or “a divide in Washington DC” applies only when legislation benefiting the 99% is considered. DC politicians are on the same page and expedite legislation benefiting the 1%, irrespective of what popular opinion may be. Politicians have no fear of voters as long as those politicians have a K Street gig with their name on it that pays millions of dollars per year when they retire or lose an election.

When I was young i wondered why so few Murkins vote. Watching DC politicians for more than a half century, I now wonder why so many Murkins DO vote.

10 Likes

Only if you don’t bother to vote. We have the power to change everything.

2 Likes

Only 75% of Democrats? Eliminate employer and government financed healthcare and see how the numbers change and who perks up.

1 Like

not by voting, you don’t. if all I give you is french vanilla or vanilla bean every year, you’re gettin’ vanilla whether you like it or not.

whatever power the people have is contingent on recognizing the voting con for what it is first. and I’ve lived more than a half century so far without seeing enough of that, although people are getting clued in faster these days. it’s now down to a solid minority of the delusional who still think this system can work every 2 years. everyone else has it figured out.

5 Likes

Until we put in place a government that truly represents the people, we can dream and want all kinds of things but it is never going to happen. This has been going on from the beginning of the republic - elitists who control the economy and government care less about what the people want - they care about protecting their wealth and investments whether it be slavery or the military industrial complex or the insurance game. These people are shrewd, rich and ruthless. Can we put them in check?

3 Likes

I think the US is very much like Japan when in was an empire in WWII. the people go along with the system/the plan without too much complaint. Then they love to go out of their country and brutalize other people. they take out the aggression that should be placed against their own government and leaders and instead brutalize people in other countries -or people they perceive to be different in some way. We are always focused on someone else - Sadaam Hussein, Assad or Khadaffi when we should be focusing on our own leaders who are our real problem.

6 Likes

Yup, if the Dems were an opposition party that 75% would be closer to 100%. I am advocating a national, coordinated letter and opinion pieces for local media to educate the general public on HR 676, true single payer.

5 Likes

I can’t get VA because in the run-up to the Iraq war in 2001 the Republican Congress decided that they should cut money to the VA to help pay for the war. They started means testing and since my wife made too much money ($24k+ at the time), I was ineligible even though I was a combat veteran. Since at the time I had lost my company provided insurance and had a pre-existing condition, I was uninsurable. Cobra was not a player as that would have cost $1500 per month for just me. When I asked VA what I should do, they suggested I get a divorce. So much for Republican family values. When people thank me for my service it really pisses me off. If they really gave a shit, they would fund the VA to where all vets would have health care.

One last note, if I had signed up for VA medical when I first got out, I would have been grandfathered in, but as I didn’t need it, I didn’t sign up. Meanwhile my uncle who was a Korean era veteran has been getting VA medical for 66 years even though he was only in for 18 months and never went overseas.

8 Likes

VA Healthcare or Tri-care is Universal Health Care and is NOT single payer. Medicare and Medicaid IS single payer. There is a big difference.

3 Likes

That is basically what HR 676 does along with a few other things.

2 Likes

I was just thinking how complex and confusing they (the powers that be) have made everything in the US and technology has apparently not helped. Things should be as easy, clear and simple as possible but confusion and chaos benefits those in power and the elite. Most of us don’t have the time, energy, money or attorneys to get what we really deserve. We are put through processes which cause physical and emotional discomfort. We are overwhelmed. It is called “shock & awe” and we used it in Iraq to overwhelm the opposition. I feel very, very angry at the way these politicians use our soldiers and then throw them out after they’ve used them. How do we put a stop to this neo-liberal disaster the rich and powerful have created in the US?

3 Likes

Greatly improve Medi-Care for all from birth to death not single payer corp. care

2 Likes

It begins in each state by a volunteer or two who get the word out to other single payer supporters-activists to write letters to the editor and opinion pieces on an agreed date or on a rolling agreed dates and to make the case why this is the only way to cover everyone in any significantly affordable manner. We need to provide multiple links to information that the general public can read and get informed. These letters should encourage others in the general population to write letters after they read the information and understand that it would be in their self interest.

I planted the idea last evening with an activist in the Vermont branch of the League of Women Voters and she told me they will be having a single payer caucus in Chicago in the near future. We need also to emphasize that we need to stop the endless wars of choice that destroy lives and the treasury and that tax breaks to the obscenely rich need to be reversed.

The poster Baska gave me the idea of also focusing on getting the low income folks involved by offering something they need such as vans that provide healthcare or go to food banks and distribute single payer healthcare information and talk to them. Also, Baska made the point of registering them to vote by providing voter registration forms at these venues frequented by the poor.

A sample for your network, short and simple:

Hi everyone,

Want to interest you and your wider networks for single payer in a coordinated letter-to-editor and/or opinion pieces where we agree on a particular date or perhaps on a rolling basis where we make the case for single payer. These can serve not only to highlight the benefits of true single payer, HR676, but can serve to galvanize others who will be encourage to also write letters and get their friends and family to do likewise.

I have been posting this idea online encouraging people in other states to do likewise.

Solidarity,

5 Likes

Good point. A “right” is something that exists when the ‘demos’/people are being subjected to an oppressive system. It means that the governance is conducted with something other than the well being of the people as primary premise.

I wish I had an answer.

I am going to forward your story far and wide.

1 Like

You seem to be unaware that you are paying more right now, than you would with single payer health care, which would get rid of pharmaceutical and insurance company wasted overhead, excessive management salaries and obscene profits – all of which are parasites on our health budget, not to mention excessive overhead healthcare providers have to hire to fight with the insurance and drug companies.

Why aren’t you complaining about that?

2 Likes