Home | About | Donate

Spreading 'Like Wildfire': Majority of Americans—Including 74% of Democrats—Now Support Single-Payer

“I simply wish to be able to buy the insurance I want.”

Back to your evident wish to pick and choose which government taxes you’ll pay:

“An approach so sane that I can’t be allowed to opt out of it?..I’ll not oppose ‘single payer’…as long as it’s…voluntary…Oh, we can’t allow choice on that can we?”

Nope. No more than you have “choice” about being taxed for military spending or traffic signs. That’s how law under democratic government works: a majority vote for laws all must obey, taxes all must pay.

You’re ok with missiles but don’t like stop signs?

Tough shit - a majority of elected rep’s decide the U.S. will be safer w/military spending; + a majority think U.S. drivers and pedestrians will be safer w/driving norms codified into law for which all are taxed - whether or not you think we need missiles or you “use” stop signs.

And now a majority of citizens want single payer health care, and may well press their elected reps for it - meaning all would pay, as w/military spending, traffic signs etc.

Oh but wait - maybe you want ANY law, any tax to be voluntary? Then American government’s not for you. Beat it.

“Canadian Health Care Wait Times-”

Yup, particularly for non-urgent care. And Canadians overwhelmingly support it anyway - probably because it led to their living longer, healthier lives; and because, across the border, they see Americans’ disgraceful health stats under private insurance.

“A new poll conducted by the Toronto-based Nanos Research points to overwhelming support — 86.2 percent — for strengthening public health care rather than expanding for-profit services.”
https://www.healthcare-now.org/blog/new-poll-shows-canadians-overwhelmingly-support-public-health-care/

You missed an important point in the Fraser Institute yearly report. The wait time on the list has been getting worse, and has doubled in 25 years. Why is that? If healthcare works as well as advocates claim, why would the wait time be getting worse?

USAmerica has its own national provided healthcare, the VA and the Indian Health Service, and both are plagued with problems. The VA also has wait lists, hidden wait lists to nowhere. The VA hospital administrators who set those up weren’t fired; instead they got bonuses. Most people would not consider that a good way to run a public service. (Maybe you do…?)

Waiting exists in other national health services. I have read instances of it in Britain and Italy. One elderly man was scheduled for to receive a health procedure in a few months time. As the time neared the system rescheduled it for a few months further out. He may have realized then, or after one or two more occurrences of this, that the system had no intention of ever giving him the procedure.

Raised eyebrow. First I have heard of this, although in a sense not surprising. First question is “Why Nova Scotia?” If a person can’t afford healthcare in America, but can afford to travel, and to acquire a fake Canadian health-card, wouldn’t they go to New Brunswick or Quebec instead?

Years ago I exchanged posts with a person from Alberta. He said that when the plan was established in Alberta anyone who showed up for treatment was treated. Then they noticed masses of people coming up from Montana and issued health cards good only for residents of Alberta. :slight_smile: He complained that Montanans came up because America doesn’t provide healthcare for the poor. My opinion is that so many people are willing to go out of their way to get something that’s ‘free’.

As for

Consider

Nova Scotia, as a poorer province compared to the others, probably receives Federal money to help provide Canadian-Medicare, and it and its citizenry and doctors probably have an incentive to commit fraud against the rest of the Confederation.

Must be pleasant to ad-hominem dismiss research centers and their reports that you disagree with. … :slight_smile: So sad when people can’t discuss things anymore because of accusations that this or that or some person is hopelessly biased and lying.

A better way of phrasing it is “If the program is so good, why must people be compelled to buy it?”
Two elements there,

1. That it is good, &
  2. The price is right.

In the private sector it works all the time. Makers offer products like 8-track tapes, Beta video tapes, cellular phones, CDs, smaller floppy disks, thumb drives, digital cameras. If it adds value, at a good price, people buy it, otherwise it goes into the discard. 8-track tapes and Beta video tapes had a short product life, because they lost out to better products.

How good stuff works doesn’t transfer well over to collective majority-rule decision making. I know of only three ways to fix mistakes in the public system:

1. Through the legislative or bureaucratic system. This might take Saul Alinsky-style protests. … You’re still working on that for military spending…
  2. Emigration.
  3. Wide spread breaking the law, sometimes also known as ‘Civil Disobedience’. That and protests is how the military draft ended. Would revising marijuana laws have ever happened if everyone had obeyed the law, and there weren’t massive numbers of people, led by Cheech and Chong, disobeying the law?

If Single payer was such a good idea, then it would have happened by itself, like Google more or less taking over the search engine line of business, or it could be implemented by a state, like New Jersey copying Belgium. It wouldn’t need a national law making it happen.

The Fraser institute was founded for a very specific purpose. They advance an agenda of everything from our health Care system to our Public schools systems being privatized. They are funded by Corporations that see profit opportunites when such is done.

When it comes to “waiting lists” what they did in the USA was just DROP all of the persons who could not access health care because including them would drive waiting time averages WAY up and this is not the outcome they wanted, so they just did not count those people.

This in and of itself demonstrates their BIAS just as the Think Tanks that claim “lowering taxes to the rich increases GDP growth” are biased.

The fact remains over 86 percent of Canadians support our health care system whereas in the USA 74 percent of Americans want something like our system. Which system is more democratic and how is it that in the USA the MINORITY get to dictate the type of system US Citizens should have.

By the way , one of the single largest sources of revenues in many of our drug stores here in Vancouver is from US Citizens coming up by the bus load to buy drugs. In order to do that they have to see a Canadian Physician yet the for profit Health Care system and their paid for lackeys in Congress like to pretend this does not happen.

A bit like the Texas panhandle, where most people favor alcohol prohibition, but quite a few hop in the car, and drive across the county line to buy some…
- BTW, you misread the statistic in the story. That is 74% of Democrats support Single Payer. According to the article, it is a bare majority of all Americans. Their answer might change once they are reminded of how the costs play out, decrease in insurance premiums, big increase in taxes.

First, at least one segment of the US for profit Health Care system is willing. But it is blocked by US drug makers. Everyone knows about the buses. … One can look up the arguments of the drug makers against re-importation. I am pretty sure that I would not be persuaded by their arguments. BTW, I favor re-importation, and one reason I favor it is that it would induce US drug makers to negotiate harder against price breaks for Canada and Europe.

Take a look at these articles.

7-30-2001 Milton Friedman’s take on America’s Health system problems, worse than all-private or all-government
How to Cure Health Care
by Milton Friedman
Monday, July 30, 2001

“A Swiss system with no real enforcement, sloppy economic thinking, and no dynamic, consumer-driven insurance market? A Swiss system that replaces Swiss efficiency with American sentimentality? It didn’t work when it was called Obamacare. It won’t work when it’s called Trumpcare or Ryancare or McConnellcare, either.”
One thing that gets no more than a mention in the article is the “Essential Minimum Coverage” that a health insurance plan must provide. From what else is said in the article, I suspect that Essential Minimum Coverage is much smaller in Switzerland
than in the ACA, and that the Swiss have resisted rentiers’ efforts to increase the Essential Minimum Coverage.
Read more at:

And

https://www.forbes.com/sites/theapothecary/2013/05/02/oregon-study-medicaid-had-no-significant-effect-on-health-outcomes-vs-being-uninsured/#112453506043

And
excerpt = “Actually, I don’t think industry, with its connotation of private enterprise and exertion, is any longer the right word. The late great Joseph Rago of the Wall Street Journal foresaw that Obamacare would “convert insurers into government contractors in the business of fulfilling political demands.” Rago was arguing (against PolitiFact) that Obamacare did indeed represent a de facto “government takeover of health care,” even if it wasn’t overt nationalization.”

I suspect we have exchanged enough posts, and Common Dreams’ automatic system will tell us to stop.

“A bit like the Texas panhandle, where most people favor alcohol prohibition, but quite a few hop in the car, and drive across the county line to buy some.”

Good call: heck, it would be a LOT like the Texas panhandle, if 0.15 percent of the panhandle pop. crossed state lines to buy alcohol - plus that number was estimated by liquor stores.

0.15 percent…why, the system’s falling down around their gosh-darn ears and they still overwhelmingly support it and pay taxes for it. What the heck is…oh yea - increased life expectancy since it started, worse health outcomes in private insurance U.S. next door…

"By one estimate by a right-leaning Canadian think tank, there were 52,513 Canadians (0.15 percent of total population) who traveled outside of the country (not necessarily to the United States) to receive non-emergency medical care. This figure was reported in a survey that asked physicians, rather than patients themselves, to estimate how many patients traveled outside of the country. There is no information about exactly what procedure these patients may have received, and it did not ask specifically why the patients traveled outside of Canada for care.

“There is limited reliable information to support Trump’s claim. The most comprehensive report uses data from 20 years ago, and found that 90 out of 18,000 people surveyed for the Canadian National Population Health Survey said they had received health care in the United States in the previous 12 months… Trump’s exaggeration of this one data point to extrapolate a larger trend earns him Three Pinocchios.”

"A better way of phrasing it is ‘If the program is so good, why must people be compelled to buy it?’”

And that’s why you say all taxes should be voluntary. You don’t feel safer with that stop sign opposite the school. Heck, you don’t even drive, and it’s not your kids that cross the street to get to the school. So why should you be taxed for it?

I haven’t said “all taxes should be voluntary.” Maybe ‘FightThePower’ said that. …

I have seen fundraisers for the local volunteer fire department, to raise money for this or that piece of equipment. And that serves a useful political purpose.

I have also seen T-shirts that read “Wouldn’t it be a great world if education got all the money it needs, and the Air Force had to have a bake sale to buy a new fighter jet?”

(And I’ve seen an article that Las Cruces NM has a hard time raising local taxes for education, because there is a retirement community on the edge of town that can vote in the elections and has, eh, not-enough fellow-feeling towards the city’s schools and schoolchildren to vote to increase THEIR taxes for the cause.)

We are in a moral principals argument. A person works hard, smart and productively. How much of his reward belongs to him, and how much belongs to ‘the collective’? (government stepping in to ‘handle’ the money for the collective) From what each has said we can guess what FightThePower thinks on this, what I think, what you think.

(The feelings of some towards the collective getting lots of money may be ‘tainted’ by the bad reputation of the government in handling that money. Corruption, you know.)

Some here seem to go the full Thomas Piketty distance or further on the question: That anyone who presumes, and succeeds, at being much more ‘well-off’ than the masses shall have it all taken away and be broken in what he has to the lowest decile of the community. (I might have, in sarcasm, exaggerated a little bit.) Kurt Vonnegut wrote a satirical story about that sort of must-be-equal America.

“I haven’t said ‘all taxes should be voluntary.’”

Right, just if single payer is “good,” why should “people” be forced to pay taxes for it. Same yardstick of government taxation we use for traffic laws and defense spending.

“If Single payer was such a good idea, then it would have happened by itself-”

Obviously. You know, like the 13th Amendment or Brown v. Board of Ed.

Traffic laws are local or state laws, not Federal laws. We know that some of them, like speeding and right turns on red lights, are not always obeyed.
BTW, given the number of deaths due to vehicles, and the recent uproar about ‘Save our kids’ lives’, we should establish automobile free zones around our schools, and maybe bite the bullet and adopt common-sense automobile control laws. Ultimately leading, say some, to automobile confiscation. (could be a trifle of sarcasm…)

And I am sure that in other articles you advocate against the US. military and defense spending.

Not the best analogy.
You know that slavery of <= 1865 was replaced with sharecropper debt peonage, despite the 13th Amendment. And that voting rights were replaced with literacy tests (w. grandfather clause), despite the 15th Amendment.

And worth observing that Mexico abolished slavery earlier than the USAmerica did, but their peasants and indios were subject to debt peonage until the Mexican Revolution that began in 1910.

As for Brown v. Topeka KS Board of Education, the narrow matter of Miss Brown having to walk past a whites-only public school to attend a blacks-only public school has been ended, nationwide. But unhappy critics complain that America’s public schools are still just as ‘segregated’ as they were 65 years ago.

There is a time, according to circumstances. I wonder if Britain would have gotten its NHS Single Provider, in the form that it did when it did, if not for WWII.

Liberal leadership becomes what it really is when the rank and file don’t pay attention: Conservatives.

Paid insurance industry liar. You are one of thousands.

All lies!

How does a chronic pain patient get their opiate medication coverage reestablished after BC/BS cuts them off. This category of people has been thrown under the bus by the CDC and their thoughtless guide lines. These patients are being made to unnecessarily suffer because of the sins of addicts, abuser, and dealers. Not to speak of the ignorant people who don’t no how to use recreational substances. We need to continue to say no to the bad guys the foolish, and the unlucky, and yes to pain suffers. G

No they do not know this…I talk to a LOT of Americans …and yes…while this is still anecdotal…but almosrt everyone I talk to…doesn’t even know what single payer is…even young people . .why?..well for one thing g…they do not read. So how would they ever know?? Anything g!?

Wanna back that up with a FACT or continue to spread horseshit like you know what you are talking about?!