Home | About | Donate

Spurred by Failure to 'See Humanity in Our Students,' Minneapolis School Board to Vote on Ending Contract With Police

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/06/02/spurred-failure-see-humanity-our-students-minneapolis-school-board-vote-ending

2 Likes

Defund the Police.

3 Likes

This is excellent, i hope the Minneapolis school board goes ahead with this action.

We need 100,000 similar actions throughout the country, for local institutions and public officials to take a real stand against funding and supporting white supremacist institutions.

3 Likes

A very disturbing part of this article is the following quote: “A Department of Defense program has also provided military-grade weapons and equipment to at least 22 school districts in eight states, Education Week reported in 2014.” Click on the link “reported” to find some of the details of school districts that get military equipment from the DoD. School districts!! Do a DuckDuckgo search for the “1033 program”. There is a wikipedia reference that is really scary. In any event, thank Bill Clinton for arming school districts as well as police departments with “excess” military weapons. These weapons are not really excess. They are ordered and manufactured even thought the US government knows they are not needed because they need to continually feed the defense contractors. Also, thank Obama for doing nothing of substance. When you hear Obama supporters and Despicable Joe Biden talk about how much good they have done for the black and brown communities, I’m not sure they were talking about making their neighborhoods armed camps.

5 Likes

I cringe every time I drive by a school and see the police car parked in front–this from a man whose second cousin was a junior in Columbine High on 20 April 1999.

1 Like

These “school resource officers” are really in schools for one main reason, to start the “poverty to prison” pipeline as soon as possible. Couple these goons with zero tolerance policies school boards have adopted, and it’s a perfect storm to criminalize any student who questions…well anything related to authority.

2 Likes

Cops, whether on the street or in schools called SRO’s, are incapable of viewing ordinary people, even children, as human beings worthy of respect, only as something to “process” - to arrest and handcuff - in schools the life-long effects on children can be catastrophic. We’ve all seen the videos of those SRO’s and/or “security” guards attacking and /or arresting and cuffing school kids - guess they were in fear for their lives - police violence is NOT the answer to school safety!

~https://theconversation.com/arrests-of-6-year-olds-shows-the-perils-of-putting-police-in-primary-schools-124229

2 Likes

I agree, schools should hire their own private security force, if one is needed.

Outstanding post webwalk. I totally agree that this time we have to GROW a revolution about racism among our police forces. The police have to choose whether they support community even when the PTB say something different.

Thanks Gary, spreading grassroots awareness and action is encouraging. Hard times for all but we keep working.

1 Like