Home | About | Donate

Staggering Global Wealth Gap Still Growing on Backs of the Poor: Report

Staggering Global Wealth Gap Still Growing on Backs of the Poor: Report

Nadia Prupis, staff writer

The wealth gap keeps growing as the world's richest get richer at the expense of the poor, according to a new study released this week by an alliance of major organizations.

The World Wealth Report from Oxfam, Greenpeace, and other groups found that while the total number of millionaires in the world jumped to 15.4 million—up by nearly 5 million since 2009—more than 702 million people remain in poverty around the globe.

The Republicans in the USA have ties to big businesses such as the Koch Brothers & Monsanto & oppose minimum wage increases & say it would cause more & more unemployment. The Democrats are for minimum wage increases & say they would take on big businesses but remain too close to them.

Many firms from industrial nations outsource jobs to developing & semi- developed nations to exploit workers, wreck the environment & pay lower wages than they would pay in industrial nations.

i'd broaden your start:

Boycott everything, to start.

Buy nothing that you do not, actually, need.

We need to not feed the greed machinery. Which also happens to be the omnicidal ecological collapse machinery.

Obviously we need to do much more, to build an economy that treats people equitably, and without dis-integrating ecology. Feeding our labor and money to local and accountable producers and retailers is indeed important.

Our own life energy, "consumption," and spending, are high-energy fuels for whatever we feed.

I remember clearly, thank you. There was also truth in reporting in those days. The main stream media hadn't become a conglomerate and reporters still prided themselves on being accurate and truthful. There were laws against monopolies too.

The Clintons have always been in the business of selling favors so it would be a big surprise if any of those "major business leaders" had not endorsed her.

The Clintons' record of widening the income and wealth gap makes them reliable candidates for the 1% and reliable corporate money magnets for the Democratic Party.

And then we went on to elect Bubba, and even the obadrone (remember when he said he was probably more like Reagan than any democratic president b4 him?). I don't count the shrubs b/c poppy didn't get re-elected and shrub-the-dumb[est] didn't really get elected (especially not the first time!).

Ooh-ooh, look at this bit of spam that got delivered to my inbox:

Ann --

I haven't been in the Senate for long, but I've learned: If you don't fight, you can't win. And I'll be honest, when things get tough, too often our side just folds and gives up.

But not Hillary Clinton. For 25 years, she's been on the receiving end of attack after attack. She didn't whimper. She didn't whine. She's always fought back with grace and determination -- and no matter how many punches she took, each time she came out fighting stronger.

This is one of the reasons I'm with Hillary -- and if you're with her too, chip in to support her and the other Democrats running this year.

Hillary is a fighter. Throughout this campaign, she has said she'll hold Wall Street accountable, raise the minimum wage, protect and expand Social Security, and help students graduate from college without being buried in debt. She'll fight for women's rights and LGBT rights and immigrant rights and civil rights. That's Hillary's agenda, and it is a progressive agenda.

We need a candidate who fights for the right values -- and who isn't afraid to fight back against right-wing lunatics trying to undermine progress in our country. Because let's be honest, the Republicans have nominated the looniest of the right-wing lunatics to become our country's next Commander-in-Chief.

Donald Trump is a man who built his campaign on racism, sexism, and xenophobia. A man who got rich while declaring bankruptcy, skipping out on what he owed to others, and scamming people. A man who is a small, insecure, moneygrubbing bully who doesn't care who gets hurt, so long as he makes a buck off it. A man who should never, ever be allowed to set foot in the White House.

So here's the deal: Hillary is smart as a whip, and she's a tough cookie. She can take Donald Trump's attacks and nasty name-calling. But if she's going to win in November -- if we are going to win in November -- then she cannot do it alone.

It's going to take all of us fighting hard to make sure Donald Trump gets NOWHERE near the White House and defeat the GOP. Hillary will fight her heart out to level the playing field for working families. That's why I'm with her -- and that's why we all need to be with her. Pitch in to help elect Hillary and Democrats this year.

If you've saved your payment information, your donation will go through immediately.

QUICK DONATE: $3

QUICK DONATE: $10

QUICK DONATE: $25

QUICK DONATE: $50

QUICK DONATE: $100

Or donate another amount:

https://my.democrats.org/Invest-in-Democrats

Thanks for being a part of this,

Elizabeth Warren

Lizzie Warren took an ax and gave the Bernie-busters 40 whacks, and when she saw what she had done, she gave progressives 41!
Another sold-out democrap!

Exactly, this is the best vote the the average person has. Vote with your pocketbook.

" omnicidal ecological collapse machinery"
Not bad word putin togetherin,

The Clintons have totally launched themselves into the 1%. They already control over a billion dollars, with their foundation and their campaign, and it's only going to continue to (amazingly!) balloon.

The shining, ladder-climbing success story of our age.

Thanks, crazy times.

Yea , arent we the fortunate ones.(sic)

Yeah, I gotta say I am beyond disappointed that Liz Warren would turn traitor that quick on progressives and shill for Hill.And if Bernie endorses her, he will have sold out everything-and everyone- he has stood up for.

You know it's really bugging me right now to think that Bruce Dixon was right about Bernie being a sheepdog for Hillary, but at this point it seriously sounds like he was/is. If you've got any questions consider reading this article; http://www.counterpunch.org/2015/10/20/bernie-and-hillary-the-sheepdog-and-the-she-wolf-in-vegas/
if that was true almost a year ago then we have even more reason to believe it now -- I liked the idea that he was running a 'clean' campaign, but now I'm wondering if it wasn't just a little too clean as I don't feel at all bad for judging her based on all of her many lies. I can only hope that all of the commenters that have said they will NEVER vote for that sad, sick old woman stick to their guns and flatly refuse to be 'herded' into that camp no matter who tries to force them to!

Pwr 2 the VOTING peons!
GUILLOTINE THE STATUS QUO!

I would be honored to share it with you Carol! I woke up this morning coming up with it, and honestly couldn't wait to use it -- that email seriously disgusted me, but I knew I wanted to save it and post it in a few comments so people understand she's not who we thought she was.:disappointed:

"total number of millionaires in the world jumped to 15.4 million—up by nearly 5 million since 2009—more than 702 million people remain in poverty around the globe."

"Across the planet, the number of people living in extreme poverty has dropped by more than half since 1990, when 1.9 billion people lived on under $1.25 a day, compared to 836 million in 2015, according to the UN"

I guess someone must be doing something right.

How do we tax the rich when they make the tax laws?
We make the tax laws by popular referendum.

Legalize democracy!

Boycotting big box stores is something we must do! Every time I drive by a Walmart, I think $1.2 million of our tax dollars because that's what we taxpayers are on the hook for paying to just one Walmart to subsidize Walmart's worker's Medicaid, food stamps and housing, if needed! The mom and pop stores never got money like that for their workers, but Walmart and the fast food industry are all being subsidized. Now you know why we have so many of these on every corner!! If Walmart paid their own workers what they should, our tax money could go for roads or other infrastructures.

Here's another tax heist: 1/4 of the big corporations pay no income taxes! Imagine what that money could do for us AND if the corporations and CEOs weren't allowed to hoard their profits off-shore to avoid paying taxes on it, we would have even more money to support Medicare/Medicaid and Social Security! Remember that the next time the Republicans want to put Medicare and SS on the table to be diminished! This is exactly what's at the heart of our struggles with the big box stores! Our democracy has been sabotaged by politicians who are the "enablers" of all our welfare that goes to the corporations!

I can't say that I am surprised to see a hardcore Republican turned Democrat like Warren take a huge dump on American workers. I always suspected she was nothing more then a Trojan Horse.

I too would like to share that rhyme. With full credit to Wolfess of course.