Home | About | Donate

Stand Down: A Message to the Maryland National Guard

Stand Down: A Message to the Maryland National Guard

Iraq Veterans Against the War

Iraq Veterans Against the War (IVAW), a national group of Post 9/11 veterans, call on the Maryland National Guard to stand down from their mobilization to Baltimore. As 1,000 soldiers currently deploy to put down an uprising of exploited people who have been terrorized by a consistently racist police department, we stand in solidarity with the people of Baltimore and encourage service members and veterans to listen to their fellow community members and to stand on the right side of history.

Perhaps other readers can help... I cannot remember where I read it, but it is my understanding that National Guard deployment policy was recently changed to assure that under some circumstances National Guard units were NOT to be deployed in their native regions.

If this is true, the message from IVAW is even more important because it speaks to even a deeper matter - that of our shared humanity regardless of home identity. No home town is safe when any home town is violated.

We share the ideals of a Constitution that is still, and always will be, a work in progress. The National Guard is composed of human beings and we can take this time of crisis to be a our spiritual and civic crucible. LETS RESPECT EACH OTHER. One, five, ten years from now the chances of protesters and National Guards sitting down to a meal and conversation about shared experiences is part of the legacy we are currently living and generating as something I hope will be in the eyes and hearts of all involved now and in perpetuity.

Let em loot!

" uprising of exploited people who have been terrorized by a consistently racist police department," This is an amazing, and false statement since the Balitomore mayor is African American, The Chief of Police is African American, the States Attorney, is African American as is 48 percent of the Baltimore police force with no racial majority. The argument about race just doesn't make sense.