Home | About | Donate

Stand Up and Sing! Pete Seeger, Our Children, and the Future

Stand Up and Sing! Pete Seeger, Our Children, and the Future

Peter Dreier

Every day, every minute, someone in the world is singing a Pete Seeger song. The songs he wrote, including the antiwar tunes, “Where Have All the Flowers Gone?” “If I Had a Hammer” and “Turn! Turn! Turn!” and those he popularized, including “This Land Is Your Land” and “We Shall Overcome,” have been recorded by hundreds of artists in many languages and have become global anthems for people fighting for freedom.

Pete!

Why did they persecute you?

What was it that they were afraid you'd tell us?

That we are all brothers and sisters?

Well, if we all understood that, then we would not wage War against Ourselves.

Dangerous man!

"In an era of universal deceit, telling the truth is a radical act" - George Orwell

Seeger never missed an opportunity to tell a truth that needed to be told.

Valiant Pete!

We had such giants back then in our lives (and in our protests). When you look back, who today can compare with a Pete Seeger, a MLK or a Bill Kunstler?

Let's just say that when it came to speaking truth to power... Pete made sure his voice was heard.

Wow! I wish I knew all this years ago: they put things in proper perspective for me. Thanks.

Putting Bill Kunstler on the level as Pete Seeger and Dr. King is like putting Grant Dayton on the same level as Sandy Koufax and Walter Johnson

" In 1955 Pete Seeger was called into court by some congressmen that accused Pete of not being a loyal American."

I wonder if the Republican congress and DJT will start another HOUSE OF UN AMERICAN ACTIVITIES, TO SILENCE THEIR CRITICS.

Sing it loud, sing it strong, sing it clear, let your voice be heard. Part of the magic, wasn't just the good music/strings/voice/lyrics - it was the calm short introductions between the songs. The voice of truth and passion for justice for the poor and oppressed. Let our voices be raised in freedom.

Remembering Pete Seeger and his music! https://soundcloud.com/user660132316/troubadour-tribute-to-pete-seeger