Home | About | Donate

'Stand With People, Not Polluters': Sit-In on Last Day of COP24 Highlights #PeoplesDemands for Ambitious Climate Action

'Stand With People, Not Polluters': Sit-In on Last Day of COP24 Highlights #PeoplesDemands for Ambitious Climate Action

Jessica Corbett, staff writer

As world leaders continue to negotiate a global game plan for climate action on the final day of the COP24 summit in Katowice, Poland, more than 150 representatives from movements across the globe came together for a sit-in to demand that governments "stand with people, not polluters" and "commit to action in line with the urgency of the crisis."

1 Like

While that is good- we won’t see this in the US. Too many people shopping at Walmart or on the i phone.

I don’t know about that. There was a tremendous turnout at the People’s Climate March in NYC a few years ago, Many Americans are willing to protest to get climate action. I think the big problem is that in the US climate change is rarely a big issue in political campaigns. Candidates feel that supporting climate change action does not get many votes so it becomes a secondary issue.

That was a few years ago- and then??? Yes, we must keep fighting, but just marching and carrying signs will not cut it. We need leadership at the grass roots level and policies that keep this afloat. Without that, and with just marching and carrying signs it goes nowhere. It can’t just be at the federal level either- it has to be at the local and state as well. Just marching every few years or when convenient to hold a party will not cut it. Do you think activists ( real ones) like Dr. King or Susan B. Anthony just marched? Of course not- hey, it took over one hundred years of great determination and action to have everyone get the right to vote. Writing on a computor from the comfort of home will not cut it either. Join an organization that is really working for change on a regular basis.

1 Like

Yes, climate change or global warming is a big issue. People have to force leaders to work and not accept the status quo. The biggest issue of course is always the economy and jobs so to tie that to climate is necessary. Big coal wins because of the jobs issue- but that is starting to reverse itself.

Bernie is a huge supporter of climate change and clean energy in Vermont and on the national level.

This meeting should include a tour of a holocaust site, because that is the future, only on a much larger scale. Every future meeting should feature a mass grave tour, and human skulls placed on every conference table. Because this is the price that the economic powers have already agreed upon. It is just fine with the boardroom.

1 Like

Future headline? 12 YEARS AGO IN 2018 WE WERE WARNED, NOW IN 2030 IT IS TOO LATE AS MILLIONS DIE FROM CLIMATE DEVASTATION!

2 Likes

Good. May this sit-in usher in global, rolling, total, non cooperation. Now.

This may be a good time to not only study Gandhi’s techniques in occupied India but to revisit Martin Luther King, Jr’s, Why We Can’t Wait.

1 Like

Bernie Sanders is also a problem competitor against HR 676 improved medicare for all.

The Republicans are working on global warming. I’m not sure anyone will like their ideas, though. Where did Steve go??? This piece talks about a volcano eruption-sized cloud block. Ew. The article makes it sound like it is a done deal.

The plan?_Smother us. Block out the sun. Um, plant growth? Vitamin D pills, anyone?

It would really be nice to talk about some of the other geoengineering stuff that happens around the world. For instance, have unusually low temps across major continents while the poles are melting…that can be contrived by blocking cold air on the north end and expanding it, pushing it southward. Those who wish more trade routes melted, well, use microwave from a satellite. Greenland? I saw a picture of it once with the surface ice all blackened with soot. A little sun could melt it quickly then. Or microwave from satellites.
My point? Some people want more open trade routes, and their frozen lands melted. Soooo, they will think up more ways to impose trauma on the earth to try to justify it.
Count the icebreaking ships. How active are they? How do they work? How much do they melt and does it stay melted?

1 Like

Mahatma Gandhi was assassinated in India and Martin Luther King Jr. was assassinated in America, what that tells me is any political leader that is a perceived threat to the political.elite will meet the same fate by another loaned nut!

1 Like