Home | About | Donate

State Department Requiring Visa Applicants to Reveal Social Media Accounts, Raising Concerns Over Use of That Information

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/06/01/state-department-requiring-visa-applicants-reveal-social-media-accounts-raising

1 Like

This should not surprise people. This has ever been the intent of “Social Media”. Back before these technologies arrived , entities like the FBI would spend tens of thousands of man hours following peoples around, recording their speeches and trying to build a portfolio on them. These people committed no crimes but the State wanted to be sure where everyone stood on every issue so as to build a list of those that would be deemed dangerous to the State. The McCarthy hearings were about pulling some of these suspect “subversives” into a witness box and asking them to respond to the data collected on them by the FBI wherein if the answers not satisfactory the person deemed a “Communist sympathizer”.

Social media is a time saver. The FBI does not have the personel to monitor everyone but Social Media allows that. They have been building a protfolio on anyone who uses Social media domestically and now want to make sure they build one for foreigners. This is not about keeping the USA safe from “terrorists”. It is about keeping the 1 percent safe from persons who might be deemed a threat to the current system.

The Chinese Government uses Social media to “score” people and rate them as to how well they serve the State. The US Government is doing the same thing.

8 Likes

And the State Department can do this how? Because the 4th Amendment is practically non-existent anymore courtesy of the Patriot Act and the NDAA, the two pieces of legislation which are designed to dismantle/override the US Constitution. Privacy - which is closely related to Liberty and Freedom - is a thing of the past…

3 Likes

Hi SuspiraDeProfundis:
I say yes it’s true to all that you wrote.
In the novel 1984, the cameras were everywhere, and speaking truth—got you terror, and making a RE-clarification of one’s thoughts( i.e. not just brain washing, but drying and an ironing out of those convolutions which might have any remainder of any TRUTH that might linger
That’s how I see Facebook and the Zuckerman person too----I bet there’s not a single convolution left in his brain-------another flatlined brain for the future…Earthlings of all nations are so fucked.: (

3 Likes

“Let me see Mr./Ms. Secret Agent Man/Woman, a few years back I used the nom de plume Fuck You Sideways, but I’m not sure if that account is still active. Must I reactivate it?”

2 Likes

The only threat to the United States is Public Enemy Number One: Donald Trump and his crime family as well as the Republicans who assist them. Trump is the biggest criminal of them all as confirmed by the Mueller Report alone (and the evidence before our eyes each day) and he is the main threat to the United States, its people and world security in general. As usual this criminal, illegitimate Administration is creating scapegoats to divert and distract from their own crimes that they commit openly each day. This is nothing but yet another authoritarian move. I mean look at social media to find threats against the US? That could mean anything and anything could be interpreted as such - any critical opinion about the US may be viewed as a threat to the US. Views that dont agree with the Fuehrer and his ilk and their new world order they are pushing may be viewed as a threat.

Plus, it is not like Americans arent critical of the US. That doesnt mean they are traitors or terrorists or for violent regime change. In fact, I would say anyone who questions our criminal government and wants to hold them accountable because they are clearly acting outside the law and thus our CONSTITUTION is the real “patriot” here and the people who order the State Department to examine social media accounts are the actual threats to us. .

This is something Democrats need to talk to people about, hold pressers for, alert and warn people about. Every day Trump is taking away more and more of our rights because this move is not going to just affect foreigners. Once the Trump regime sees it can get away with it, they will then start applying it to Americans as well and call it National Security. Anyone who thinks Trump;s anti immigrant agenda is only limited to illegals is a fool. This is a slow moving coup so people dont get what hit them until it is too late and the enemy at the gate…

1 Like

And it looks like israhell could be involved if this article on the relationship between the NSA and SIGENT is true. Perhaps the US is searching for those who support the BDS movement/critical of israhells human rights violations and passing off intel to israhell.

2 Likes

“The State” is so 16th century! No, but seriously, it is painful to realize that the State is a perverted and delusional vision of Nature and the Cosmos. I can only conclude that that its stuck in a feedback loop that will continue its cannibalism until in a death-bed equivalent of planetary viability there is is a massive “Oh Shit!”.

Screw saving for the future and everything the climbing ladder calls for. Spend in loco- community; buy second hand from community program financing; study blockchain technology; re-purpose your TV and car; walk, don’t run to engagement with contemporaries and relish the sheer spectrum of creativity one is forced to ignore when “The State” demands your gonads, those of your offspring and neighbors and friends.

We’ve shifted out of 1984 and are in Fahrenheit 451 territory.

3 Likes

Not sure the 4th amendment applies to foreign citizens applying for visas. Plus, all this stuff is out there, easy to find and collect.

Here’s a simple example. Somebody used a weird looking image on a forum i follow. One user wondered what that image was of. I saved it locally and did a google image search. Turns out it was part of the facade of the church that user was attending.

I did not personally know that user but starting to pull at that thread i built up a pretty good profile of him. Turned out that profile was pretty accurate. And i’m just a nobody with a laptop.

Lesson to be learned: stop putting your whole life online and then whine about privacy.

6 Likes

This goes far beyond Visa Applicants… No end in sight with Govt spying plus Social Media and many other sites collecting our information. The Internet has become a Mine Field.

1 Like

Here’s a bit of information from me to Trump’s State Department that they don’t have to dig for:

"Fuck You All!"

5 Likes

it’s getting to the point where I can’t fathom why anyone’d even want to come to this dump right now.

'I know, let’s go to the US and get abused some more! Woo hoo!"

Not me, boss.

4 Likes

There is a plus side to this.
This will encourage people to deactivate these useless and intrusive social media accounts.
Who really needs Facebook anyway?
And why does Common Dreams have the Facebook icon on every page anyway?

2 Likes

The internet is a huge recording machine, what you type and send is forever somewhere. A lot like plastic bags in the ocean.

6 Likes

If i still lived in the 4th reich he’d have my vote.

Unfortunately, i think you are underestimating the younger generation’s ignorance in regards to the value of privacy as well as their collective addiction to social media.
More over, most facebook users will probably never hear of this anyway, since so many of them rely on facebook for their “news”.

4 Likes

As someone who lives outside the USA and married to a non-citizen, just getting a tourist visa to visit the USA is already a huge PITA. There are nazis marching on your streets but my wife is treated like a terrorist threat just to visit my family. It has gotten so bad I just tell my family to visit me as they can get a 30-day tourist visa-on-arrival at the airport. You 'murikkkans are crazy paranoid. Perhaps if you quit attacking other countries you wouldn’t have to worry so much about who wants to visit the country.

7 Likes

This is jsut one more step fpr the USA towards complete isolation and pariah status. My advice to any young USAn would be to learn a couple languages, and get the hell out of this madhouse.

5 Likes

I left the dump 15 years ago and never looked back. I have to return for a short period this year for my mother’s milestone birthday. Wish the celebration could be (nearly) anywhere but the dump I left.

1 Like