Home | About | Donate

Stepping Stones to Change

Stepping Stones to Change

Carolyn Coe

"Those kids working in the street, they don't have much time to think about their life and they don't have time to think about their best future."

Students at the Street Kids School in Kabul, Afghanistan, listen to announcements before the morning session of classes. The school, which is taught by Afghan teenagers who volunteer their time, provides literacy and nonviolence classes to child laborers on Fridays. PHOTO COURTESY OF CAROLYN COE

I’m seeing more real world wisdom from these pre-teens than in high political office:

“They have their way,” he says. “I have my way, and my way is nonviolent.” (Amrullah)

“Education is the path, especially in Afghanistan,” he says, “toward positive change–toward a green, equal, and nonviolent world.” (Naser)

I think it is BECAUSE they work in the streets - because they see the world the way it is.

I can relate - having seen and done both worlds.

Nice article Carolyn Coe - very nice ~

What a tragic waste. No mention that any of these kids’ lives can be snuffed out at any moment thanks to the mass-murdering American military filth that is illegally occupying their country.

Appreciate the good work, yes I do.

But, where is the appeal to war pigs in the US to get the fuck out already?

Amen!

“Save the Children estimates that there are 2.2 million Afghan children between the ages of 8 and 14 who need to work.”

This is a rather disambiguous statement. Do they need to work, or do they have to work? The article implies the latter.

We need to get out of Afghanistan. But I couldn’t help wondering what gives organizations such as the VCNV safety to operate. Is their safety community-based? I think that’s an important question.

As long as we stay in Afghanistan, we’re teaching violence through our simple presence. Teaching the dogma of peaceful engagement is all well, and good. But it won’t mean anything unless we withdraw as a military presence. There’s nothing in this article about this topic, it would have been a little more rounded-out if it had addressed that issue as well.

That being said, I’m in awe of the peacemakers in this article, including the author.

Applause :clap: