Home | About | Donate

Stepping Up Collaboration With Iran, US Now Directly Backing Tikrit Offensive

Stepping Up Collaboration With Iran, US Now Directly Backing Tikrit Offensive

Sarah Lazare, staff writer

Stepping up its de-facto collaboration with Iran, the United States military is now giving direct air support to the Iran-backed offensive by Iraqi forces and Shiite militias on the city of Tikrit, northwest of Baghdad.

Launched over three weeks ago, the operation on the hometown of Saddam Hussein is the largest counter-offensive against ISIS yet, involving tens of thousands of Iraqi and Shiite militia fighters.

Winston Churchill famously said "the enemy of my enemy is my friend," but this is carrying the idea to a whole new level. And darn, i'm having a tough time wondering who to root for in all of this.

Exactly. Iran is supporting the Houthi who are fighting Al-Qaeda but are also fighting the Sunni dominated government supported by Saudi Arabia who supports (quietly) the coalition against ISIS who are fighting Assad who is supported by Iran (also fighting ISIS) who also supports Hezbollah who wants to fight Israel but instead is fighting in Syria supporting Assad who is also opposing the Free Syrian Army supported by the West. And then we have Qatar and other Arab states backing different horses in different races.

Best policy I think would be to simplify NATO policy to fighting ISIS and let the rest run their course.