Home | About | Donate

Still Here, Just Barely

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/further/2020/11/04/still-here-just-barely

3 Likes

the problem was that the Democrats put evil clown number two(war monger-science denying fracker of methane-filler of jails with his drug war–denier of universal health care in a pandemic-and promoter of Republican values(see Democratic convention)–corporatist — on the ballot-- who then promised continued pain as a campaign slogan(nothing fundamental will change)

as I have pointed out for years --there is NO salvation in the Democratic party–the real progressives(all seven or eight of them) need to find their backbones and walk away from these anti -people losers to help form a people centered party to oppose the duopoly of corporatist war mongering parties

frankly I am surprised that Biden didn’t lose the election–that their pathetic campaign put even a possible loss against a racist -fascist clown reality show con man on the table in what should have been a blowout for the Dems who once again blew an easy election(couldn’t even flip the Senate where the Republicans repeatedly walked away from relief for the American people) and as I write this an election is still very much in the balance

7 Likes

The substantial loss of house members and underwhelming addition of a few senate seats won’t be enough to send a real and urgent message to the top Dem deplorables…THE PEOPLE ARE SICK OF YOU and your SPINELESS attempts at enforcing true democratic initiatives. I’ll put all my money on an easy Polosi shoe in for speaker…a clear message to the suffering masses that “fundamentally nothing will change”.

4 Likes

Give tptb a few more days to manipulate our votes; stay patient…they gotta make sure that the frontman for their grift is a bit less stridently controversial (controversy draws too much attention to the grift; it’s for amateur oligarchs) while de-fanging their replacement for him of the ability to pass progressive legislation (as if their handpicked frontman would have been inclined to do so, anyway).

i think it would be smart for workers to try and paralyze the economy with a general strike right now.

2 Likes

Abby, those myths of “equality” as in all men are created equal, of “one Nation under God” always were myths as the nation was founded upon the twin, original crimes of genocide and theft of the lives of the rightful inhabitants, the First Nations Peoples, and the lives and memory of the Africans who were kidnapped, enslaved and forced to “migrate” in the most horrific conditions to boot on slaves ships where millions perished in the infamous trans-Atlantic Passage by a people–the very ancestors of these very young souls (being charitable here) who still voted for such monstrous evil all the while claiming a Judeo-Christian ethos.

We cannot rest until this nation becomes one of true equality, true democracy where every human being is viewed and accepted as truly equal in worth and where the other species, animals, plants are also valued as for the Life that is inherent in them. We owe it to the ghosts of those who perished. We owe it to the descendents of these wronged peoples. We owe it to the rest of the countless victims of US American Empire’s wars.

May this be so. May we make it so.

5 Likes

I wonder what your definition of progress is, as well as how you envision progress to be achieved. Donald Trump is a vile, contemptible human being on every front, Joe Biden is sane, for one difference. Ridding this nation of our very worst president in our history is progress.
That Biden received more votes than any other candidate in history should tell you something.
All the progress we seek can only be achieved by an involved and committed electorate. Those loyal to the democrats should work to replace their aging and out of touch leadership certainly.

3 Likes

“If he comes to power, as is often noted, he will exercise it decently, legally, competently, compassionately.”

The votes have been cast, and still you have to push this disgusting swill of a lie on us. You’re doing a bang up job of holding his feet to the fire.

4 Likes

I am getting over my Pollyanna shock that so many Americans share Trump’s values. As my neighbor pointed out, white male supremacy is the bedrock of this country. I thought we had gotten further away from that than we have. There will be no end in our lifetimes to the fight against racism and authoritarianism. One more shitty wakeup call.

10 Likes

According to CNN exit polling, support for Trump among white males decreased by 13 percentage points from 2016. White female support for Trump increased by 3 points. Black male support for Trump increased by 7 points. Black female support for Trump increased by 7 points. Latino male support for Trump increased by 6 points. And Latina female support for Trump increased by 2 points.

Rex Chapman’s Twitter send up of Hair Furor was spot on.

Good article, however, a little perspective. The US has always had an abysmal turnout of eligible voters; which probably has a lot to do with the two parties true loyalties to $$.

“…so broken half its people would still vote for an evil clown.” There are estimated to be around 200 million eligible to vote, that is citizens over 18. So far over 68 million have voted for the Orange Cockroach; that is about a third of the actual eligible voters not half whole country.

W. Bush’s approval tanked in the low 30 percent after his weapons of mass destruction fraud was exposed. So I figure a third of the population is either seriously reactionary, fascist, stupid or all of the above. Fascist includes being racist.

It is this portion of the population that in enamored with a “strong” leader that will protect them from their fears: the Black hordes, lefty radicals, liberals, pro choice people, anti gun people, queers anything upsetting their fantasy expectations for white America. All this even if he is obviously an incompetent crook. This is how fascism gains its hold; people who feel their lives are out of control and want a autocratic “great man” to save them.

Ultimately though, I still find it mind boggling that someone who could sabotage the response to Covid, attempt to keep people from voting and destroy the Post Office would get anyone to vote for him. This points to a serious mental deficiency in a large part of the population-mass psychosis.

7 Likes

Afraid today’s brown shirts and white robed and hooded klansmen are hidden in plain sight. As with their leader…they lie, bully and intimidate when things don’t go their way. They don’t believe in due process or democracy. For their ancestors in thought, lynching was their idea of justice and when you consider how many white americans supported this or looked the other way…we find a cancer which has still not been removed. And so many of these people always claim “law and order.” Well yes, how many people were ever convicted of murder by lynching? Almost none.

4 Likes

Just one thing wrong with this article Abby: You are propping up Biden as some sort of “savior”; HE IS NOT! HE OFFERS “WE THE PEOPLE” NOTHING but more gifts to the wealthy will be coming as “nothing will fundamentally change”!!! He has already promised to veto M4A!!! What you should have said is that his number one qualification for victory is that HE IS NOT DUMBF!

5 Likes

It was 245.5 million Americans age 18 and older back in November 2016. Surely the number hasn’t shifted that much in only four years.

“It is this portion of the population that in enamored with a “strong” leader that will protect them from their fears: the Black hordes, lefty radicals, liberals, pro choice people, anti gun people, queers anything upsetting their fantasy expectations for white America.”

I live in deep red territory, and my neighbors do see Trump as a protector, but not quite as you describe. They see him as protecting the economy, prosperity, and their investments, protecting liberties, like gun rights, hunting rights, and the right to drive whatever they want, protecting borders, national integrity and sovereignty, patriotism, and freedom from foreign influence and foreign entanglements, including not getting us stuck in more foreign wars, and protecting fetuses, family values, Christian values and Christian liberties. And these are not strictly white issues. I recently saw a Latina pediatric health-care worker wearing a Trump facemask. That looked incongruous for a moment, until I saw the label on her scrubs: Christus Santa Rosa Children’s Hospital. (i.e. Catholic)

1 Like

Hi rickshaw51:
Hmmm but of course Biden didn’t murder all the many covid dead. It was Trump. And it was Trump who paid the rich and the corporations while the poor suffered and are still suffering —plus so many newly made poor—all once upon a time employed citizens------And to round out the evilness of the Trump and Kushner coming together ----today Kushner begins evicting all those Americans unlucky enough to be Americans in the Trump/Kushner universe. : (

1 Like

I wonder if you know anything about Biden’s political background, he is only slightly less vial and contemptible than Trump. Progress?? Ha! There won’t be any progress with Biden in the WH, only a continuation of the policies that brought us Trump in the first place.

2 Likes

Don’t forget the fight against U.S. global imperialism. More than 20 million people have been killed by the U.S. since 1945.

1 Like

All I can say is thanks Abby,

1 Like

I am, in fact, familiar with his record, or much of it anyway. He has held elected office since 1970, Are your opinions the same as they were 50 years ago, forty, even twenty?
You seem willing to ignore his statements in support of much of the progressive agenda and , worse, ignore the terrible harm that would befall this nation in another four year term of Donald Dictator.
While I had hoped for a landslide victory I am more than willing to take my chances with Biden over Trump, heck, road kill over Donnie.
I am further encouraged by Georgia yet in play as well, perhaps the progressives who left the process are returning?
You are entitled to your opinions obviously, but I cannot fathom how you do not see the blatant differences between the two candidates.

1 Like

“United States of Amnesia” Gore Vidal