Home | About | Donate

'Stinks to High Heaven': Calls to Investigate Trump Labor Board's Gift to Uber Amid Stock Market Struggles

'Stinks to High Heaven': Calls to Investigate Trump Labor Board's Gift to Uber Amid Stock Market Struggles

Jake Johnson, staff writer

Uber was in serious need of a lift after a "bleak" and "disappointing" stock market debut last week, and President Donald Trump's National Labor Relations Board gave it just that Tuesday by ruling that the company's drivers are independent contractors—and thus don't have the rights of traditional employees.

Right wingers hate government regulation–until it comes to busting unions, lowering working class wages or compelling women to give birth whether they want to or not.

6 Likes

So right you are!! Maybe a boycott of all uber-doobers! call for a REAL taxi next time, or take a bus, ride a bike or, maybe, just walk! truck fump and the flat tired bike it rode the golden escalator, to our hell, on! yesterday would have been really good!

1 Like

Add public transportation systems to that growing litany.
Heres a link to the American Public Transportation Association

Maybe its time to look at the Public Transport history and start forming regional transport Cooperatives. These drivers can - rather than forming a union - form a driver-owned co-op and set the economic model and probably triple their incomes.

I really don’t think we’re talking rocket science. Time to make the greedy buggers obsolete by totally out-performing their predatory set ups.

There is already open-sorce ride scheduling software out there to develop aps.

I bet City Halls in small cities would stake start-up costs for a well-planned transport co-op system with multiple companies.

3 Likes

Johnson sez:
“Uber was in serious need of a lift after a ‘bleak’ and ‘disappointing’ stock market debut last week, and President Donald Trump’s National Labor Relations Board gave it just that Tuesday …”

I am utterly shocked at this news — Pestilent Chump has a Labor Relations Board?

I used to work for a trucking company in Southern California, hauling mobile and modular housing We (the brokerage) paid our drivers, who were independent contractors, owner-operators of their trucks, 80% of the price charged to the client (85% for long haul). One of our “competitors” was National Trailer Convoy, owned by corporate giant Pepsico. They paid their drivers 40%. Those guys couldn’t afford to maintain their trucks, as in, fix the brakes. And when Pepsico Building Systems wanted their modular homes hauled, they didn’t use the company owned by their corporate overlord. They called us, because we could actually do the job.
Uber, you cheap bastards, pay your workers fairly! You’ll find that it pays, since our company thrived, while NTC went under.

4 Likes

Trump can’t save Uber.

They have an untenable business model. They’ve never made a profit and never will.

" National Labor Relations Board gave it just that Tuesday by ruling that the company’s drivers are independent contractors—and thus don’t have the rights of traditional employees".

Employees have to start work whenever the employer schedules them, they have to work shifts or in a certain area if needed.

Most of the time when i use Uber it’s someone from the neighborhood. “I just logged on to the app waiting for a nearby fare”.