Home | About | Donate

Stonewall Inn, Celebrated Birthplace of Modern Gay Rights Movement, Gets Landmark Status

Stonewall Inn, Celebrated Birthplace of Modern Gay Rights Movement, Gets Landmark Status

Deirdre Fulton, staff writer

Nearly 46 years after powerful protests there galvanized the modern gay rights movement, New York City's historic Stonewall Inn has been granted official landmark status.

The designation, unanimously agreed to on Tuesday by the city's Landmarks Preservation Commission, also comes just days before the annual Pride celebration, held annually in commemoration of what are known as the Stonewall Riots of 1969.

That's true, Andrew. As a gay man, I pose little threat to the elites. Some of us are among the elites. White gay men as a group have always held relatively high education levels, and while as early as the 70's when I first came out and the yammering began from Madison Ave. about some of us having high incomes in general there's very few out gay guys in "power jobs.' Same goes for women. And, now we have organizations like the Log Cabin Club for "gay Republicans" just in case anybody cares (a group of white gay men who don't give a damn about anybody's rights but their own).
So, while its great to put a plaque on the Stonewall, it parallels 40,000 people cheering on Dave Kopay at the University of Washington, 30 years after he quit playing for Green Bay and wrote his book. We would like real things to happen in real time now. The country is barely (not) ready. Marriage and Michael Sam are still a big deal.

I remember the Stonewall before the Stonewall Revolt. It was a dive that had over priced watered down drinks. It was run by the mob.Some local gay people went there but not many. It was like a tourist attraction for people from long Island and out of town who wanted to see a gay bar in the village. Of course with people wanting the experience of a real gay bar you had many volunteer exhibitionists who loved to come by and give them a show. I lived in the village at that time. I had a lot of gay friends. None of them had any interest of going into that dump. A friend who was visiting me from out of town wanted to see a gay bar. I brought him to the Stonewall. The following week was the famous police raid, that started the Stonewall Revolt. We missed being there by a week. I made a video over 25 years ago called 20 Years After Stonewall Check it out if you would like.