Home | About | Donate

Stop Blaming Millennials for Not Voting. Blame America’s Screwed-up System—and Fix It!

Stop Blaming Millennials for Not Voting. Blame America’s Screwed-up System—and Fix It!

Will Bunch
1 Like

Not voting is an implicit vote for the greater evil.

5 Likes

Well, in my case, everyone on my ballot - US House, US Senate, State House, Governor/lieutenant governor, is a Democrat and running uncontested, or a Democrat with a 100% chance of winning. I could cast safe strategic votes for the Green candidates for Governor and US Senate, though. But unfortunately, the election coincides with a time window between by wife’s chemo treatments for getting away to my old cave clubs little-visited, marvelously isolated Smoke-Hole West Virginia house - no TV, no internet, no cell phone service - or any other man-made noise - one of the few eastern US places that is as quiet as the middle of Nevada except for bird life than that barren Mars-like part of the country seems to lack. I’ll learn about about the results on Thursday when I get back.

1 Like

Very envious am I. My dog and I were in Spruce Knob-Seneca Rocks last year. Beautiful!

1 Like

Voting should be at least a 3 day event and a National Holiday. No more early voting, we all vote at the same time.

And there must be incentives for voting and penalties for abstaining.

If we want a True Democracy instead of this phony representative government: Of, By and For the Wealthy, we need to make sure EVERYONE VOTES, including the POOR. Mandatory Voting for EVERYONE or lose your Citizenship.

3 Likes

Oh and by the way the right to vote is not in the Bill of Rights, nor anywhere else in the constitution, the whole foul mess is left up to the states to manipulate and suppress voting as they see fit–The supposed “sacred right” to vote is not enshrined in print anywhere, it’s just a rumor!

2 Likes

The “Sacred Right ®” believes, now that they control all 3 branches of government, that they alone, have the sacred right to determine who gets to vote.

3 Likes

Will, Thank you for this article.

Owl, Voting is willingly participating in the evil.

1 Like

Good points in this article. But this is not a ‘screwed up system’ - it is instead a very well designed undemocratic system. And this is only part of the overall design. The other parts are that votes do not count - popular vote is overwritten by electoral vote, and electoral districts are ridiculously well designed to support undemocratic representations. Add to that a two party monopoly system, and you have at least a 4 legged system, well designed to control democracy, not to support democracy. But this is all old news.

7 Likes

Or, is inaction and ignorance the real evil?

3 Likes

Not loss of citizenship. That would give incentive for corrupt powerful interests to engineer situations that drive people to choose to not vote.

i mean, we have corrupt incentives bad enough already. No need to add a pretext to yank citizenship.

A fine, or a night in jail for repeaters, for “failure to vote.” Not loss of citizenship.

Also, with any such legal obligation to vote, the option of “none of the above” must be available.

3 Likes

Everyone should certainly be considering what one’s actions are to be. And we should certainly all be educating ourselves. Living inside this plainly evil system that is literally destroying the Earth’s ecology, take action as best you can toward reducing and shutting down the omnicidal, violent, destructive systems and structures in human society and economy.

But i think it is legitimately debatable whether one can blanket condemn people for opting to not vote; voting being but one action among a broad spectrum of actions and activities through which we all engage the world.

4 Likes

Not everyone responds to fear appeals. Not everyone can be threatened into doing what you want them to do. That’s just part of the delightful variety of humanity.

I feel the same way I have for years. You want me to vote? Fine. Give me something to vote for. I’ve seen nothing but universal struggle and suffering for the American working class for all of my adult life regardless of which stupid letter had power. I will act on that perceived knowledge. And anyone who denies me that right can eat ass. My vote is not their property and I am not their house servant.

7 Likes

Don’t forget we have the world’s largest prison population plus millions on probation or parole for nonviolent crimes like drug offenses. None of those people are allowed to vote and that’s a lot of votes, mostly anti-GOP votes at that!

3 Likes

The main problem is that both parties stink. So most people who don’t vote seem to think that voting does not matter. The Democrats lost to Trump because they ran that horrible corporate candidate Hillary and it looks as if they might run her again. The Democrats would rather loose than run someone who supports the will of the people. The FEC insures that their will never be a viable third party.

4 Likes

From the title, I’d expected and perhaps hoped that the article would be a serious attempt to understand reasons why many, millennials included, don’t vote.

Sure; some of it is attributable to laziness & being spoiled.

But when the very odds for survival for democracy, liberty, and any sense of personal economic security, as well as the fate of human civilization and much of the planet’s biodiversity are all very much in doubt; and when neither side of the duopoly has been willing to take any of this seriously enough to sufficiently change directions in any meaningful timeframe, it is quite understandable that many will ask the question, “What difference would it make?” .

Give the electorate candidates who aren’t beholden to corporations and concentrated capital; who are willing to reflect the values that I think most people actually have, and who have the integrity and spine to stand up for them unflinchingly, and I suspect many more people will pay attention, vote and otherwise engage.

The evidence for this is clear to me, just from seeing how some previously-unengaged millennials I know responded when Sanders was running. All that enthusiasm just completely disappeared for them and many like them when the choice came down to the lesser-evil Clinton v. Trump.

No, if there is blame, it should be first allocated to all those who’ve enabled the D’s to become too much like the R’s .

This is not to state categorically that there aren’t differences. On many issues of course there are. But on these existential questions, relating to the impending climate chaos (that appears already to have begun), ecological sustainability, global intervention, militarism and imperialism (and their effects on national economic security and ability to fund important public interests), the corrosion of democracy by concentrated / organized capital, there isn’t enough difference to change the trajectories. And all of those trajectories suggest the shit is going to hit the fan for most of the young and any children they may have.

So please, don’t blame lack of voting on the lack of “apps” and dated technologies. Get the $$ out of politics and policy formation. Eliminate the stranglehold of the duopoly, by implementing ranked choice voting. Hold existing office holders accountable. Force the systemic changes that will allow a representative democracy to function. And above all, stop enabling candidates who can only point out just how horrible the other candidate is.

6 Likes

The conscious choice to refrain from voting is in itself not worthy of condemnation.

However, to be apathetic about those who govern over you and your children to the point that, one not only refuses to educate themselves about all the available options in politicians, but also rages against the machinery of the existing government, well, that’s another story.

1 Like

If I didn’t know better, I’d say from your comments above, we are brothers from different mothers.

Write On!

3 Likes

Drone,

Be very thankful that you’ve come to the realization that both halves of the Uni-Party are not worthy of our continued support due to their corrupt relationships with the Corporations and the MIC.

Your children must be proud of you.

I am.

3 Likes

FWIW, I’ve held this viewpoint for over two decades and haven’t “come around”. But thanks for the sentiment, nonetheless.

3 Likes