Home | About | Donate

'Stop Fawning': Critics Say McCain's 'Jingoistic Revisionism' Nothing to Applaud

'Stop Fawning': Critics Say McCain's 'Jingoistic Revisionism' Nothing to Applaud

Jake Johnson, staff writer

"McCain's speech was designed to flatter Americans with self-glorifying tales of exceptionalism and nobility. And of course, it worked."

McCain ran for president and choose Sarah Palin as his running mate, need I say more? They were both selected by the 1% because they were and now are, nothing but fawning parasites for the oligarchs, the fossil fuel industry; and the MIC.

Only conservatives take bribes, pollute, make war, steal, rape, torture, kill, convinced that they are working for God, Country and Mom’s apple pie.

Direct Online Democracy

spurious (adj.)
1590s, “born out of wedlock,” from Latin spurius “illegitimate, false” (source also of Italian spurio, Spanish espurio), from spurius (n.) “illegitimate child,” probably from Etruscan spural “public.” Sense of “having an irregular origin, not properly constituted” is from c. 1600; that of “false, sham” is from 1610s; of writing, etc., "not proceeding from the source pretended, 1620s. Related: Spuriously; spuriousness.

As with the other politicians unwilling and unable to articulate a peaceful, economical, sustainable, compassionate, ethical and coherent way forward, Mccain conflates his “spurious” projections with with what he seeks: a nationalism subject to frenzy fueling by media. Somehow is just a tad more time consuming - something that requires actual work - than foisting the ‘consumng’ off on “consumers” of his self diddling and not “proceeding from the source pretended”.

Dagnabbit, those two look like ‘hungry ghosts’.

Facing his mortality, McCain can say and do what he chooses but it does not erase his past. Too bad he did not spend the other years in the Senate promoting the health of all Americans, peace NOT war, shoring up the social safety net, and reducing the bloated defense budget. His voting history reflects his allegiance to the ultra conservative arm of the GOP and against the well-being of all life, the environment, and the planet. I do not wish him ill will.

Ah, proud Johnny speaks once again! This hapless old codger has never met a war he wasn’t willing to send somebody else’s kids off to die in. And of course this sleaze bag left his sick first wife for a debutante chippy that financed his run for the senate.
To find someone as low as McCain you would have to kick your rain barrel over and start digging.

I know, but we are all so starved for anything that sounds like sanity and hope.

While McCain’s frequent advocacy of the use of military force is troubling to say the least, he is one of the few Republicans who has really criticized Trump so I would give him some slack. He also was one of only a few Republican senators to vote against repeal of the ACA. So unlike many Republicans he is willing to risk taking on Trump, apparently believing that he has the political backing to do so without losing his seat in Congress. While American nationalism with regard to such beliefs as exceptionalism is of concern, it is not nearly as concerning as Trump’s nationalism. Trump view is turning away from globalization as if that was actually possible, and only caring about the self-interest of Americans and nobody else. Worse, it is bound up with white supremacy. He is a major figure in the international white nationalist movement which is probably actually stronger in a number of European countries. This movement is similar to what happened in Europe in the 1930s. It favors fascism over democracy. McClain has joined the fight to defend Western democracies against Trump and a number of like-minded European leaders. So while there is much not to like about McClain there are some things to like and we need that in Republicans given the present state of that party.

Although McCain keeps playing the good cop in the 2017 good cop - bad cop theatre. he has yet to exit the GOP and become an independent. Until he becomes an independent nothing he says or does can be taken seriously.

Tragically, he has a lot of company. What I cannot fathom, a man dying of brain cancer, does not have anything better to focus on but causing death and destruction and we cannot blame it on his cancer either due to his long history of jingoism. Perhaps he keeps hearing “bombs bursting in air”? If ever a worse national anthem was devised that belonging to the US should get the prize.

Tell that to the Japanese, the Vietnamese, Koreans, all over the ME and Latin America, and last but never least because it spurred on these ongoing atrocities, Native and African Americans.

If only he would face it.

There is no way to avoid it as it is facing him down, as it were.

Good comment, but at this point I’ll take what we can get. Having just read about the Virginia gubernatorial campaign (I have not kept up with it), and the blatant racism that Gillespie is relying on to propel his campaign, I’ll take McCain’s reasoned statement, despite all his flaws. The revanchist right is strong and I’d rather a sitting Senator that stands up to it, than one who uses it for political gain.

“To fear the world we have organized and led for three-quarters of a century, to abandon the ideals we have advanced around the globe, to refuse the obligations of international leadership and our duty to remain the last best hope of earth for the sake of some half-baked, spurious nationalism cooked up by people who would rather find scapegoats than solve problems is as unpatriotic as an attachment to any other tired dogma of the past that Americans consigned to the ash heap of history. We live in a land made of ideals, not blood and soil. [It is because of these ideals that] We have done great good in the world. That leadership has had its costs, but we have become incomparably powerful and wealthy as we did.”

He’s carefully left out the " other half " of the story. As The Uniparty continues to leave out 50% of the citizenry. They’re not spreading ideals and leadership, they’re spreading murder and mayhem for chaos and profit. Biden is just as big a liar as McCain, here. He’s a Corporatist/WarHawk, too.
They’d both been Trump-lite if elected POTUS. No white supremacy but growing economic inequality and big DoD budgets, lousy national healthcare and militarized policing, etc.
I’m tired of looking at 60 some years of political experience that has been such a dismal failure. Sorry to see McCain & Biden suffer such fatal maladies, but how many people ______________ ( your guess here ) have they killed while draping themselves in the stars and stripes?
We need The Uniparty to go away.

McCain’s entire political career has been based on being a prisoner of war

And ensuring the world remains one

I think McCain is trying to bring some moderation to the Republican Party and therefore I think right now with Trump as president he is playing a constructive role. He is saying we want to continue as a western democracy, not turn to fascism. But I am glad he was not elected president. If he had won, not only would right wing extremist Sarah Palin been the vice president but McCain probably would have sent many thousands of troops to Iraq and the war might have been even more disastrous than what took place. And who knows what else he might have done militarily. So one really good thing that happened in the US was that McCain stayed in the Senate.

The veritable “lesser of two evils” …president or senator…less harm as a senator.

I believe McCain was speaking of education, engineering, trade, and not strictly about intervention, so I continue to applaud McCain. CDs concern about intervention is well taken, however. It just goes to show the importance of nuance.