Home | About | Donate

'Stop What You’re Doing and Watch': Applause and Gratitude for Ady Barkan's Emotional Medicare for All Testimony

'Stop What You’re Doing and Watch': Applause and Gratitude for Ady Barkan's Emotional Medicare for All Testimony

Eoin Higgins, staff writer

In an emotional ten minute testimony, dying activist Ady Barkan delivered a message to Congress: pass a Medicare For All bill—now.

Barkan emphasized the increased efficiencies of Medicare For All as opposed to the current healthcare system and pointed out how the for-profit insurance industry hinders, rather than helps, ordinary Americans.

And, Barkan said, half measures won't cut it:

4 Likes

In case anyone is so devoid of empathy or lacking in common decency that they cannot recognize true courage when they see it, here it is in the person of Ady Barkan! BRAVO to a true hero!

9 Likes

Thanks to Ady Barkan and Dr. Farzon Nahvi for their skillful and moving testimony, dismantling the lies spewed by the disgusting monsters who are advocates of the grotesque capitalist healthcare system that exploits and kills people when they become ill.

7 Likes

Very moving, courageous, and compelling testimony by Ady. Glad that CSPAN is covering this hearing in full.

4 Likes

A national Medicare for All is of such critical importance it’s impossible to over state it. It will be a monumental step in making this country’s healthcare civilized. And a movement of such importance, with such vast public support has as a logical extension the generating of nationwide movements to tackle the broader and deeper systemic cancers, cancers which created the disgraceful excuse of a healthcare system that has existed in the US in the first place.

The world knows that solving so much of the international problems, including those of climate and nuclear war, means changes being made in the US, the biggest obstacle. Making a national Medicare for All system would be the first big domino for making the country more civilized. And that benefits everyone on the planet.

1 Like

Oh, what’s wrong with thousands, and thousands, and thousands, and thousands of lies. That’s what makes this White House tick. And if no one calls him on his thousands of lies they become little white lie from a little white man-boy
I wonder how many mirrors Trump has in his residence.

1 Like

For those who have time, the entire hearing is available on c-span. The immorality of the opposition to the single-payer system, which will save both lives and money, is on full view. https://www.c-span.org/video/?460207-1/advocates-opponents-testify-medicare-all-hearing&vod

2 Likes

Carom shot to Trump----even though most of the Dims are also against Medicare for All. This issue is not about Trump, as rotten as he is.

2 Likes

Medicare for All remains my litmus test.

Hear that, Vichy Democrats?

1 Like

Your point is too often ignored by damnocrat apologists, Tower. Thanks for the post.

1 Like

Someone may have posted it, but here’s the full hearing:

Just wanted to direct your attention to the CBO’s just released analysis of Medicare for All:

I have not read the whole thing yet, but wanted to point it out. The hearing was great I thought, and this should be informative as well.

Yes - they summarized the general concept of a single payer system and what choices are typically made as you come to the details of a proposed system. This was not a budget scoring of a specific bill like Representative Jayapal’s bill (in fact no dollar amounts are anywhere in this summary - they are just trying to frame the discussion).

1 Like

I hadn’t really read it, just noticed it was posted and wanted to put it out there for folks here. Calling it an “analysis” was maybe too strong, providing a “conceptual framework” would have been better to say.