Home | About | Donate

'Strong Hearts to the Front!': Indigenous Water Protectors Take Direct Action Against Minnesota Tar Sands Pipeline

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/12/04/strong-hearts-front-indigenous-water-protectors-take-direct-action-against-minnesota

8 Likes

Urging other Indigenous peoples and allies to “take a stand,” the Anishinaabe warriors at the action told other Native Americans that “your ancestors are here too.”

My spouse who is Athabaskan and only posts on face book, agrees 100% with the above quote.

12 Likes

“WATER iS LIFE!” OIL COMPANIES AND CORPORATIONS ARE DEATH. : (

13 Likes

Strong Heart Warrior governor of Michigan is taking on Enbridge and shutting down Line 5. Enbridge lies with every statement. Their pipes break down and leak all over, like an untrained puppy. And Line 5 goes right under the Straits of Mackinac, subject to not only lake currents but ship anchors striking it. Unmanned subs have found damage to the pipe, the protective coating is breaking off. This area provides drinking water for over 100 million people in the US and Canada.
Time to shut it all down. If we really, truly, knew the cost of every action we take, every item we buy, I think we would be appalled. We’ve been estranged from the Land, each other, and all other creatures for so long we don’t care some billionaire kid puts low-level satellites into orbit, interfering with sky watching. No one voted on this action, just like no one has input into what corps do.
If we stopped the current way of decision making and changed it to where only those directly affected by any action has the right to decide on it, a whole lot of things would change. No one likes adverts. No one likes these ugly big box stores. No one likes being forced to buy the latest gadget because the old technology is now obsolete.
#StopLine3!

17 Likes

I did it in the 60’s with the Civil Rights movement. And I was gassed, spit on, yelled at, clubbed, jailed, fire-hosed…all because I wanted everyone to have the right to vote and do whatever they wanted where they wanted, including decent housing and education. Man, I saw and heard things that still haunt me.
Now I’m involved as much as possible with Extinction Rebellion, trying to stop one final piece of untouched land from becoming an apartment complex. We have plenty of vacant space in the city available for new housing. But it’s about money and white flight into the township. As it is, everything is fenced off to the point I have to walk a mile just to walk along the Black River Canal for a bit of nature communion. Even then, I’m subjected to the evils of the internal combustion engine with boats and jet skis in the waterway and vehicles on the access road into the cemetery.
Now…every day I see a long line of huge pickup trucks and SUV’s in a car dealer’s lot. And every day, I have the fantasy of hoisting a rocket launcher and taking those lines out in one fell swoop. Especially since the owner loves to park the front ends over the only sidewalk…

12 Likes

“When the operation of the machine becomes so odious, makes you so sick at heart, that you can’t take part, you can’t even possibly take part… you’ve got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus. And you’ve got to make it stop. And you’ve got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it, that unless you’re free the machine will be prevented from working at all.”
-Mario Savio

^https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvvsw3PM4xE

11 Likes

Back to the land, and stay on the land Americans may some day live on tribal-like refuges. If we don’t pave it all over first.
A sanctuary for farmers and homesteaders. Selling and trading at co-ops etc.
But I doubt it.

1 Like

The other night I was wishing for something like an RPG launcher. Every third vehicle coming up behind us was a loud 4dr pick-up with 18-20 inch tires and a glare of headlights pointed too far in the air, blinding any vehicle in front of them.
And of course they were all speeding.

3 Likes

I have relatives that have become very wealthy destroying the Earth and from their perspective, they are not destroying the Earth. They call those people " TREE HUGGERS " and other pejoratives and expletives. Yes, you are correct…THEY ARE NOT ONLY VIOLENT, BUT VERY DANGEROUS. When they see a beautiful forest, they only see $$$$$$$$$$!

4 Likes

I’m sure they are intelligent enough to realize that many, if not most, natural resources are finite. They seem to be unaware of this point.
Hard to fathom that some people think there is a never ending supply of oil and water.

2 Likes

Alas, those vehicles and their owners are multiplying like cockroaches, pushed by constant adverts of how manly and powerful they are. Mad Men are aiming straight for the reptile brain, bypassing any frontal lobe hesitation.
I use my cane as a warning; it’s the standard white with red tip, indicating the pedestrian is visually impaired. I hold it up as high as possible, hoping these monsters(both human and vehicle)will be able to see it and keep their distance. I suspect if I had an RPG curled in my left arm they definitely would notice it!

4 Likes

Sadly I see that kind of person when I see these armed and armored right-wing protesters. Bypassing the same frontal lobe.

2 Likes

They are in many ways intelligent enough, but have been blinded by avarice and greed which has made them insouciant. .

1 Like

No worries, in 46 days Joe Biden will be sworn in and put a stop to…oh, wait…never mind…thinking of somebody else.

2 Likes

I call BS. Some 80% of BC Native bands have signed on to TC Pipelines.
Oil Companies aren’t death, starvation is though. Even without all caps.

Hi Don_Leishman:

Capital letters are there to remind people that for the gazillionth time,( and yes I was yelling ) at how insane it is that the environment is treated as an after thought—Without WATER, there is no life. The indigenous people deserve their lands to be free from polluting corporations and from lying politicians and polluting industries who never can clean up their messes. whether those messes are oil , mining, or cheating the planet out its life giving environment.

3 Likes

The originals, native yes we understand more than most in the Western World a connection that most have only a glimmer of .Maybe this is why the misunderstanding of native way . All of human kind must stop the glut . This much we do know . John Anderson Seminole Road .

2 Likes

If carbon were made more expensive by a direct tax on carbon investment in fossil fuels would come to a screeching halt.

1 Like

Not to mention all the ATV/UTV’s running wild on our streets and forests!!

1 Like

So, keep the damned pipeline in Canada if Canadians are so giddy about its completion. Run it all the way to Newfoundland if you want it so badly or to Vancouver if the BC Natives think its so great. These are Native Americans protesting a pipeline being built on their land without their permission. Just because Trudeau sleeps in the same oil company beds as US presidents doesn’t make it right.