Home | About | Donate

Students as Teachers: Facing the World Adults Are Wrecking

Students as Teachers: Facing the World Adults Are Wrecking

Belle Chesler

During the first week of May 1963, more than 800 African-American students walked out of their classrooms and into the streets of Birmingham, Alabama, to call for an end to segregation. Despite frequent arrests and having dogs and high-pressure firehoses turned on them, they kept marching. Their determination and ceaseless bravery -- later called the Children’s Crusade -- was captured in photographs and newspaper articles across the country.

As I approach seventy, I too Hate the world that mine and generations before me have created.

We didn’t really create this fucking mess, we were lied to, cheated and stolen from by the two most corrupted and unethical political parties in a so-called “Democracy.”

Being an unwilling co-conspirator in this debacle of a government, I joined the Democratic Party in 1970 believing that Peaceful Coexistence with all nations was possible, even though our country was committing Mass Murder in Southeast Asia on a grand scale, and the murder wasn’t just the locals there, our young men and women who were the unfortunate employees of the US Armed Forces were being slaughtered as well.

And for what?

Nobody in all of the time since then has ever been able to answer that question with any sincerity.

Protesting the insanity of my government fighting a War 3000 miles away for no good reason, was my initiation into the stupidity of adults.

Our efforts paid off after 5 years, and our troops came home to a dividend nation.

Division, is what the Democrats and Republicans do real good.

It took me years to see it.

Thank God, the young people we have recently witnessed in the “March For Our Lives” protest have already seen, and determined that they are not going to put up with the shit we have.

Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young did a song, “Teach Your Children” which was written by Graham Nash when he was with the Hollies, and even though it was not recorded by that group, CSNY released it in 1970 on their Deja Vu album.

Towards the end of the song, the message changes to, “Teach Your Parents Well…” which is what all parents must listen to and learn, and accept that Children, must be Heard and Seen, and learned from.

These children are the ones we’ve been waiting for.

STFU, and listen to them.

And learn.