Home | About | Donate

Study Predicts 'Frightening Future' for North American Birds, With Two-Thirds of Species Extinct by 2100 If Earth Warms More Than 1.5 Degrees

I’m guessing the tick explosion is related to certain bird species being decimated by poisons, climate changes, and other environmental factors, many we don’t understand as possibly detrimental to birds and other species.

2 Likes

The military is a jobs program for young men and women of low or no income and big debts. One could feel sorry for them. Trained to be cheap oligarchy mercenaries, to hate and kill other people who have not caused them ham.

Many come back from regime change wars with PTSD and high suicide rates. And brainwashed into reactionaries, conservatives with guns ready to use on the domestic enemies du jour,

1 Like

I’ve been going down to the Glenmore Reservoir here in Calgary for about forty years now. It’s a few square kilometers in size, the result of a dam built across the Elbow River which has its source in the mountains within easy sight about sixty km to the west. It has always been a haven for birds, and especially the migratory ones, which stop off on their way north in the spring and on their return in the fall.

Many hundreds of birds, maybe even a few thousand, at peak season.

These last five years or so - a noticeable decline. I’d guess maybe one third of what used to be, maybe even worse than that. And almost no variety any more.

Scary !

Over at a local coffee shop this am heard a group of five men, obviously friends, about my age (late sixties), chatting it up, and one mentioned they had sort of heard of a decline in birds. A couple of others chimed in - ‘yea, they did seem to have noticed that type thing…’ But the conversation went no farther than that - on to other things.

I had occasion to show a fellow from Spain a few of the climbing sights here a few years ago. He and his family were over here on some type of exchange - his wife was a teacher. They returned to Spain after one year, and are just north of Madrid I believe. We don’t keep in touch.

Whereabouts are you in Spain Wings ?

Agree sharp decline in birds in my area as well. It is in the central flyway zone. They came in over the ocean, and so there was a huge concentration of tired birds that landed here near the gulf coast. Especially part of the coast called High Island. They would rest and then go all around the US and Canada from here. Birders used to come from all over the world to see the concentration of birds.They used to fill the trees like beautiful living ornaments. So many types of colors, and songs. One of the few things I liked about this area. I am originally from California. Sadly there are few birds in spring and fall now. I miss their songs and beauty.

3 Likes

The first time that I drove across the US I had to clean the windshield at every stop for fuel because of the splattered bugs. Now the windshield seldom needs a cleaning. That was almost sixty years ago. Of course there are fewer birds. There are also fewer bees. As a child I had a representative collection of local scarab beetles and butterflies and moths. This summer I saw three cabbage butterflies, and a tiger swallowtail. No moths of any distinction. It may sound crass but I am glad that I won’t be around to see what our civilization has wrought.

In southern spain inland from the costa del sol (otherwise known as the costa del crime because of the criminals taking refuge from other european countries.) Spain is a good country to live in. Safe, inexpensive and kind citizens.

I noticed the splatter numbers decline over the past few decades as well particularly in California’s central valley. I still have my insect collection I began in the 50’s and got a number of them from car/truck radiators (road kills). I still find them occasionally, but the numbers have declined significantly. I have friends up in the well vegetated Hollywood hills in LA and racked up a good number of butterfly species counts when I visit. Only collect road killed bugs these days when I travel.

““By stabilizing carbon emissions and holding warming to [1.5º Celsius] above pre-industrial levels, 76 percent of vulnerable species will be better off, and nearly 150 species would no longer be vulnerable to extinction from climate change,” the report reads.”

Pulp Fiction, plain and simple. We are already at 1.8 APIL and so much more in this report from Audubon is disinformation/misinformation which leads people into a false comfort zone where they think they can relax a bit. At 3+ plus degrees most animal life will be dead, at 5 degrees it is certain death. We must protect ourselves from the BS and understand it actually is dangerous to all living things. Rant rant rant, this kinda thing really pisses me off!

I am soooooo jealous, you have no idea. So kneel down and pat the good earth for me, give it a mental hug for me :-))) Thanks

1 Like

Will do tomorrow when i go walking near our lake.

1 Like