Home | About | Donate

Subsidizing Underfunded Schools, US Teachers Spend $459 of Their Own Money Each Year on Classroom Supplies

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/08/22/subsidizing-underfunded-schools-us-teachers-spend-459-their-own-money-each-year

1 Like

A charity that offers some help for underfunded schools, but only those inside the US:

DonorsChoose.org

Damn, is this STILL going on?? In 19-bleeding-70, the first Mrs. Guild and I rented a sprawling 3-bedroom ranch style house on 18 acres; we had one room, the second was for a business partner, and the third was for her K-3 school supplies–paper grocery bags full of nylon stockings, 1-gallon plastic milk jugs, reams of construction paper and yards of felt, endless wooden tongue depressors, tubes of glitter and enough Elmer’s glue to float the Titanic. We were never reimbursed a penny–this was expected, so commonplace that it never came up in conversation among her colleagues.

Well, it worked fine for the school system back then, so I shouldn’t be surprised that it’s working fine now. I wish education was really the priority we’re led to believe it is.

This has been going on for years, in the richest country in the world. It also occurs in Calif., which has the fifth largest economy in the world. I know several teachers there who have to do this.

If I didn’t spend $900 of my own money each year (sometimes more), my classroom wouldn’t be a place where students had all they needed to be successful.

1 Like