Home | About | Donate

Sue for the Climate: Will a Dutch Court Kickstart a Wave of Action?

Sue for the Climate: Will a Dutch Court Kickstart a Wave of Action?

Nick Meynen

In 2009, The Guardian published a cartoon depicting a tormented old man with a haggard-looking girl sitting on his lap, who asks him: “Grandpa, what did you do in the war against climate change?” One dad can reply, “Well, honey, I was the first to sue my government for it.” That might just qualify Roger Cox for coolest dad on the planet.

I remember suggesting that this forum's main (and daily) posting lawyer, Tom Carberry set up some kind of class action suit against our own govt. for using funds for military adventures that would be far better suited to preparing for climate chaos/collapse/global warming.

I also recall a "60 Minutes" program many years ago where a daring young attorney sued the E.P.A. (and at the time, that action was a precedent) for not enforcing environmental law relative to the heinous activities of coal plants in West Virginia or thereabouts.

This idea that government (and government bodies) MUST be answerable and accountable to citizens has become mostly effete. Lawsuits like this one in Belgium represent Democracy's best shot at resurrection. And our beloved planet, Gaia-Pacha-Mama can scarce wait much longer for this level of remediation.