Home | About | Donate

Supreme Court Blocks ExxonMobil's Effort to Conceal Decades of Documents in Probe of Oil Giant's Climate Deception

Supreme Court Blocks ExxonMobil's Effort to Conceal Decades of Documents in Probe of Oil Giant's Climate Deception

Jessica Corbett, staff writer

In a win for climate campaigners and Massachusetts' Democratic Attorney General Maura Healey on Monday, the U.S. Supreme Court rejected ExxonMobil's attempt to block Healey's demand for documents related to her state's ongoing investigation into allegations that one of the world's largest oil and gas corporations deceived the public and investors for decades about how fossil fuels drive global warming.

HaHa! There is something Supreme about them after all.

I remain pessimistic. They might just be trying to hold on to their last scrap of legitimacy, which a ruling for the defendant corporation would have torn away.

The article doesn’t make it clear, whether this is a decision or a decision not to decide. I am guessing they are saying SCOTUS merely declined to review the case, which is the fate of 99% of judgments that are appealed from regional appellate courts to the Supreme Court. The SCOTUS justices carefully screen cases for those where the constitutional issues are most clearly in need of delineation. When a case is declined, whatever the lower court ruled becomes the final decision. So this decision is good news but don’t read a lot into it. If they were to review every case where a corporation challenges a ruling, they’d be flooded and so they have to be selective.

“the U.S. Supreme Court rejected ExxonMobil’s attempt to block Healey’s demand for documents…
They didn’t just kick the can down the road; they did make a decision theyve told Exxon to comply.

We all must remain pessimistic about that bunch.

After the Citizens United ruling, those justices that voted in favor of the corporations can never be trusted.

The court may as well put a sign out front saying, "For Sale."

Or, the court may as well put a sign out front saying, "Sold."

Or, the court may as well put a sign out front saying, "Sold, But Will Accept A Higher Offer."

You are a fine cynic. I love it.

I actually saw him live back in the 80’s just before he died in that terrible plane crash. One of the best of all time.

And with the way things are going with the Tangerine Twit and the Republican Party, we’re all going to end up on Tin Pan Alley.

Earth’s Biosphere Under Siege

Reflections On 2018, Forecasting 2019

By Robert J. Burrowes

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/50873.htm

I too, saw him before he died.

He was so good, he must have made a deal with the devil.

Lucky you! The closest I got was The Fabulous Thunderbirds with Jimmy.

Is it possible, maybe SCOTUS love their children too?
Nah.

They love them for the tax deduction they represent.

Should have been settled in a lower court. And I thought the right-wingers were the ones always pushing for tort reform. Except when THEY want sue, or appeal.

“Progressive” Sen. Elizabeth Warren has over $5 MILLION invested with TIAA-CREF:

ExxonMobil is one of TIAA-CREF’s largest corporate holdings:
https://www.holdingschannel.com/13f/tiaa-cref-investment-management-llc-top-holdings/

So I’m curious, what are “Progressive” followers doing to keep one of their own accountable?

It’s ok to criticize the opposition, but what about keeping one’s own party under purview?