Home | About | Donate

Supreme Court Deadlocks on Immigration, Leaving Millions in Limbo

Supreme Court Deadlocks on Immigration, Leaving Millions in Limbo

Nadia Prupis, staff writer

This story may be updated.

The U.S. Supreme Court has deadlocked on President Barack Obama's executive order on immigration.

The 4-4 tie on United States v. Texas (pdf) sets no precedent, but leaves in place a previous ruling by a lower court that blocks the Deferred Action for Parents of Americans (DAPA) order from going into effect, meaning five million undocumented immigrants are now at risk for deportation and being separated from their families.

Easier said than done, I'm afraid.

And remember, 4 of the Justices were ready to uphold DAPA. I'd like to see RBG this morning. I'm sure there's steam coming out of her ears.

NPR News was spinning this as a reason the election is so crucial - the usual Supreme Court appointment nonsense. They said Clinton vowed to bring this to the Supreme Court again - supposedly one with her new Justice - if she's elected.

So all of you Latinos MUST vote for Clinton if you don't want your undocumented relatives kicked out. Look what the court just did to stop Obama from letting them stay!

Of course, what isn't discussed in any of this is that Obama has deported so many immigrants the he's been called the 'Deporter in Chief'. In May Sanders called him out for deporting people fleeing violence:

"“I oppose the painful and inhumane business of locking up and deporting families who have fled horrendous violence in Central America and other countries.”

Those are the policies Obama has enforced. That's his true legacy.

But we must vote for Clinton because the Supreme Court just blocked a new Obama policy that contradicts everything he's actually done while in office.

Rule of law is myth. It's been rule of wealth since 1776. "Dark Money" by Jane Mayer details how suffocating it has become. Capitalism is organized crime. Money changers are the devils handmaidens.

When those four SCOTUS judges reach the Pearly gates I bet they'll find Scalia there arguing with St. Peter about why he and the rest of them need to hang out in Limbo for a few million yrs.