Home | About | Donate

'Sure Looks Like Zuckerberg Lied' to Congress About User Privacy, As New Facebook Data-Sharing Deals Come to Light

'Sure Looks Like Zuckerberg Lied' to Congress About User Privacy, As New Facebook Data-Sharing Deals Come to Light

Julia Conley, staff writer

At least one member of Congress regarded new information about Facebook's data-sharing partnerships with tech companies as evidence that the company's CEO, Mark Zuckerberg, lied to lawmakers in April about the control users have over their information on the social media platform.

Re “… without explicit consent”:

What does that even mean, in this age of 60-page boilerplate end-user “agreements” and binding arbitration clauses? Caveat emptor, says I.

Isn’t lying to Congress a crime? Or do billionaires get a pass? Fuck the Zuck, I will never join Facebook. To me “social media” is a contradiction in terms.

And anyone is surprised at this? How can you tell when Zuckerberg is lying? His lips move.

How about T-mobile and ATT and other providers of internet service? Do they also get access? This is important to me because I am being persecuted by agencies associated with law enforcement for views I expressed on sites like Facebook, and both T-mobile and ATT are players. Please, someone provide me an answer.

The article says it was given to 60 manufactures, my bet would be T-Mobile and AT&T are included, that’s a guess, not fact.

You’re right Bruce, but all of those bribes to congress has to buy something. I’ve never been on FB, but I’m starting a small business, everyone’s telling me I need to put my business on it. I am, to say the least, conflicted.
I’m open to advice from everyone.

Ain’t nothin’ “social” about focusing one’s concentration on a flat screen and a keyboard…

Unfortunately it is the new platform for advertising, the other is Google.

FB allows you access to target these same profiles and set specific demographics for your advertising.
ie neighborhoods, or age demographics, or work professions

Google loads those that pay to be first in the right hand search column. And Google has been known to run your ads to places that just click away and use up all those clicks you purchased when you ran your ad. Used to be right hand column results were based on how many people used that search result, inferring everyone likes this search, now it is just who pays the most, has nothing to do with quality or number of hits.

Don’t like any of it, it feels like ‘3 card monte’.
But it is what it is…People use it.
I don’t like TV ads either, so who am I.

How can Zuckerberg “lie” to Congress when they’re in on it, eh?

https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/11/17219930/facebook-campaign-contributions-mark-zuckerberg-congress-donations The top recipients of that money include Sen. Cory Booker (D-NJ), Sen. Kamala Harris (D-CA), and Rep. Anna Eshoo (D-CA).

What Zuckerberg said was for the public’s benefit, not Congress. He lied to the public.

Zuckerberg is basically a “juvenile” billionaire who doesn’t have the maturity to deal with the issues facing Facebook and the whole internet. With more life experience he might understand but he must live in a dream world that most of us would not understand. Much like the US culture would absorb Native American names as a sort of trophy, people like Zuckerberg show that they control and own everything by naming our public institutions after themselves: “Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital.” The political class in the US is complicit.

There appears to be no end to stories about personal data on Facebook winding up in various places. Seems by now that people would have learned that having a personal Facebook page is a bad idea.

The more I read about Facebook, the more I want to shut down my profile again. I suggest you try it for a few months. When you come back, you hardly check Facebook as much anymore. At least that has been my experience.

Never been on Facebook. Never will. Of course, Zuck has probably still sucked up my data elsewhere, vampire that he is

Any bets that those 60 agreements are for bilateral sharing

How else would texts be in personal data profiles

Not taking that bet…

True, but lying to the public is not a crime. But you’re right though. In fact the business model of Facebook, Google and to a large extent Amazon is surveillance. That’s what they do: collect data on you to sell it to the highest bidder, including the NSA.

Thanks for you’re input.

Zuckerberg is just another sh*theel that we have allowed to become “too-big-to-fail,” “too-big-to-jail,” just like the banksters (who apparently are poised to crash the economy yet again).