Home | About | Donate

Surge of the Opt-Out Movement Against English Language Arts Exam is Act of Mass Civil Disobedience

Surge of the Opt-Out Movement Against English Language Arts Exam is Act of Mass Civil Disobedience

Juan Gonzalez

Remember the number 999.

It’s the computer code that keeps track of what will go down as a historic grass-roots movement in public education in New York State.

Tens of thousands of parents rebelled this week against years of standardized testing from the politicians in Albany. They joined the national opt-out movement by refusing to allow their children to take the annual state-mandated English Language Arts exam.

I wonder what the medium of revolt was. I had predicted that Facebook would be used. Much better than pictures of tortellini.

The students, teachers, staff, and parents are recognizing that they have been co-opted via bad actors in the government into doing the bidding for the corporate forces. I hope these people advertise this successful protest among their friends in the other 49 states. This is a very promising democratic development that needs to be nourished.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

These tests are an excellent way to get public money into private hands. Remember the testing craze started with the Bush Administration. The Bush family and the McGraw Hill family are close friends. McGraws owned Princeton Testing Service. The Bush years were about draining public coffers for private gain. Many testing advocates are using arguments about the value of the tests, the content of the tests and their control over the curriculum and class time. But we should also look at how much they cost. In years past in Oregon our tests were created and scored by state govt. Follow the money!!