Home | About | Donate

Surprised by Charlottesville? You Haven’t Been Paying Attention

Surprised by Charlottesville? You Haven’t Been Paying Attention

Steven Singer

America is a funny place.

On the one hand, we’re one of the first modern Democracies, a product of Enlightenment thinking and unabashed pluralism and cultural diversity.

On the other, we’ve built our entire society on a cast system that is the basis of our economics, politics and cultural mores.

We’re the land of Benjamin Franklin, the Wright brothers, Duke Ellington, Toni Morrison, and Sandra Day O’Connor.

But we’re also the land of Andrew Jackson, Jefferson Davis, Charles Lindberg, Bull Connor, and David Duke.

I like it - this article - it’s my view as well - and I have traveled extensively in the States - many times.

And I like the author’s byline:

“Steven Singer is a husband, father, teacher, blogger and education advocate.”

Common sense is not dead - after all.

Thanks for this Steven Singer - and Ciao from Calgary.

I was going to post a Steve Singer rah rah as well.
His recent articles have had the right timber.
(I think I am saying that right)

Singer writes, ‘… people of color, Muslims, LGBTs and some Jews.’

This line reminds me of your typical SAT test question, the one that says, ‘Identify the term that is not part of this set.’

The correct answer is (2) Muslims. The other terms denote individuals who can generally claim some genetic background for his or her, or he/she group affiliation, only Muslims is a choice, a religious belief. Does Singer mean Arabs, or is he lost in the prevalent progressive fog confusing minority rights with religious rights? Muslims are not a minority: they number in the billions. Muslims choose to be Muslims, to think the way a religious person prefers to think, or not to think. They have a God given right to do so, but let’s not confuse supporting that right with the rights of others who happen to be yellow, brown, black or purple.

America is a funny place? Well, I find this funnier – From Alternet:

It was a strange moment of triumph against racism: The gun-slinging white supremacist Craig Cobb, dressed up for daytime TV in a dark suit and red tie, hearing that his DNA testing revealed his ancestry to be only “86 percent European, and … 14 percent Sub-Saharan African.” The studio audience whooped and laughed and cheered. And Cobb - who was, in 2013, charged with terrorizing people while trying to create an all-white enclave in North Dakota - reacted like a sore loser in the schoolyard. http://www.alternet.org/right-wing/white-nationalists-are-flocking-genetic-ancestry-tests-and-theyre-not-liking-what-they

If other white supremacists find themselves similarly identified, they are apparently gathering online and declaring that DNA tests were not valid. Probably many of us who identify ourselves as white have Sub-Saharan African DNA.

Steven Singer wrote another great one a day or two after the Charlottesville nightmare. It was on CD as well, and was likewise brutally honest.

It’s my understanding that all of humanity shares common ancestors that left Africa 40k-60k years ago and populated this entire globe (the jump-off dates are a matter of ongoing investigation and discovery, but our genetic commonality is not.) Genetic research has proved this almost without a doubt. A good source, though somewhat dated today is a documentary called The Journey of Man produced by PBS. Continuing genetic investigation since that was produced indicate that there has been some small contribution to our genome by Neanderthals and another hominid, now extinct, that lived in southeast Asia.

We are all one species and what we call race today is merely the superficial adaptations to different environments through the accumulation of thousands of years. It is rather ironic that all of us came from that small same stock and now we don’t recognize each other. Genetic research also shows that there is more genetic variance within each “race” than there is between the “races.”

So what we’re really talking about when we talk about race is tribalism, clan-ism, group identities of bands of hunter-gatherers developing in isolation each from the other in a former world sparsely populated by humans.

But I am an equal opportunity gad-fly and I would not wish to merely throw these facts in the face of white supremacists, but to go even further and tell all religionists of every stripe that deny evolution that it is very likely that those bands of wanderers that left Africa so long ago evolved from pond scum, along with all the other life on this planet.

I think there are several evolutionists who believe that not all humanity originated in Africa, but that there seem to have been several simultaneous arisings of humanity, at least generally in time, in various parts of the world. There were many hominid/ape species from which humans may have evolved But is probably true that most people with a European background have African beginnings and some Neanderthal DNA, too. But who actually knows? We all seem to be related at present, no matter where anybody lives or what groups everybody belongs to.

We seem to need to overcome small-minded identifications if we are ever to have peace. At any rate, whatever the unfinished story of evolution, you are right that we all evolved from pond scum, and all life is related to every life-part.

Agreed that much is left to discover. I read as much science as my somewhat stunted education and experience permits me to comprehend, and so I find “intuitive” reasons to see the basic uniformity of all of humanity. Such as; no-one can predict from which continent or “race” the next Einstein, just for instance, may emerge. There was a time about ten years ago that if you asked me I would have said that Indian (Hindu) women were going to save the world.

The media calls the ones who plowed a car into a crowd in Spain terrorists. Why doesn’t the media call the man who did that in Charlottesville a terrorist?

It’s estimated that (at least) 20% of white people have African-Americans in their genetic code.

Helen: for once, most media IS calling James Fields----a Nazi-sympathizer who used his car as a weapon in Charlottesville–A domestic terrorist

helen,

Figures and CIA reports show that we have much more to fear from domestic terrorism than any other kind of terrorism. So we need to be vigilant and always protest when the Alt-right tries to strut, shout their evil messages, and try to murder us.

I probably do. Though I identify as white, my forbears were Southerners but probably not wealthy enough to own a captive slave population.

Sadly, I read Trump’s numbers increased among his supporters after beginning to drop off. We live in a country where calling a racist a racist is more offensive in certain circles than actually being racist.

We may need to wait to see what the actual fallout is. As someone said, these polls are not predictive and measure only an iota of time in a limited geographical area. I suppose the 2018 elections will give us the best answer (if Trump continues on his black path). I noticed many years ago (and more recently, too) that many companies, when their practices were ruled to be discriminatory, ALWAYS insisted in all news reports that they did not discriminate against employees or applicants or anybody. So of course, individual racists would be even more resistant to self-examination and the truth.

Wonder why the numbers fell and then went up? And I wonder if Bannon on the loose will have any effect on Trump’s base, of course depending on what Trump does.

I think his numbers went back up because of white resentment. His favorite turf to fight on is culture for a reason. He knows he win an election trafficking in it. The majority of voters are white in this country and he wins if they vote as a political block. The Republican Party has made its living off of their resentment since 1968 and he’s just the blustery and ugly incarnation.

More homegrown violence than from immigrants, certainly. Although I ask for equivalency in the usage of terms for violent behavior by Islamic groups and violence by other groups, I really don’t get off to the the term terrorist and terrorism at all. Terrorism is a term popularized by Bush when he wanted to kill people without trial, without evidence, even without any wrongdoing, often simply for people on the other side of a civil war instigated by the US. He used it all the time. People have ever since.
As far as using the CIA for factual information of any sort, well you can trust them if you want, but I don’t. The number of innocent people labeled as dangerous and put on lists for heavy-handed surveillance in the US is simply horrendous and disgusting, and being on these lists is ruining many lives.